As of 12/21, the former Encyclopedia Gamia has been redirected to this wiki, which is now the definitive wiki for this topic. To see more about this change, read more here.
1974 in video gaming
|This article is a stub. You can help Codex Gamicus by .|
|1974 in video gaming|
Notable releases[edit | edit source]
- February: Taito releases Basketball, an early example of sprite graphics, used to represent player characters and baskets. The same month, Midway licenses the game for a North American release under the title TV Basketball, making it the first Japanese game licensed for North American release.
- November: Taito releases Speed Race, designed by Tomohiro Nishikado. It introduces scrolling sprite graphics with collision detection, and features a racing wheel controller. Midway releases it as Wheels and Racer in the United States.
References[edit | edit source]
- Basketball at Museum of the Game
- Bill Loguidice & Matt Barton (2009), Vintage games: an insider look at the history of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the most influential games of all time, p. 197, Focal Press, ISBN 0-240-81146-1
- Speed Race at Museum of the Game