As of 12/21, the former Encyclopedia Gamia has been redirected to this wiki, which is now the definitive wiki for this topic. To see more about this change, read more here.
1997 in video gaming
Events[edit | edit source]
- October 4 — Gunpei Yokoi (1941–1997) dies after a double car accident.
- November – Interactive Entertainment Merchants Association (IEMA) launched.
- 3rd annual E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo)
- TSR, Inc., the owner of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, was acquired by Wizards of the Coast.
- 3D Realms begins production of the infamous Duke Nukem Forever, winner of numerous vaporware awards.
Notable releases[edit | edit source]
- January 2 - Diablo (PC)
- February 10 - Mario Kart 64 (N64)
- February 28 - Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64)(PC)
- March 20 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS) (Sega Saturn)
- April 1 - SoulTrap (PC)
- April 30 - Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (PC)
- May 31 - MDK: (PC) (PS)
- June 26 - Dungeon Keeper (PC)
- July 1 - Star Fox 64 (Nintendo 64)
- July 30 - Carmageddon (PC)
- July 31 - Mega Man X4 (PSX)
- August 25 - GoldenEye 007 (N64)
- August 31 - Hexen II (PC)
- September 7 - Final Fantasy VII (PS), (PC)
- September 19 - Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS), (PC)
- September 25 - Ultima Online (PC)
- September 30 - Fallout (PC)
- September 30 - Total Annihilation (PC)
- October - Grand Theft Auto (PC)
- October 9 - Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)
- October 26 - Age of Empires (PC)
- October 29 - Riven (PC) (Mac)
- October 31 - The Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
- November - Tomb Raider II (PC) (PS)
- November 14 - Postal (PC)
- November 21 - Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
- November 25 - Myth: The Fallen Lords (PC)
- December 6 - Quake II (PC)
- December 10 - JSF - Joint Strike Fighter (PC)
- December 19 - Wing Commander: Prophecy (PC)
- December 23 - Gran Turismo (PS1)
Hardware[edit | edit source]
- March 1 — The Nintendo 64 is released in Europe and Australia
- October — Nintendo releases a smaller redesigned SNES.
- Sony releases PlayStation development software for PC
- Tiger Electronics releases the Game.com
Business[edit | edit source]
- Activision acquires CentreSoft Ltd. and Raven Software
- Electronic Arts Inc. acquires Maxis
- GameTek filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and closed its doors in July 1999
- 2015, Inc. founded
- 4D Rulers Software, Inc. founded
- September — 4HEAD Studios created
- Bungie Studios West formed by Bungie Software Products Corp.
- Conspiracy Entertainment Corporation founded
- Crave Entertainment, Inc. formed
- August — Human Head Studios, Inc. formed
- Illusion Softworks, a.s. founded
- April 15 — Irem Software Engineering Inc. founded
- Irrational Games LLC founded
- Mythic Entertainment renames itself from Interworld Productions after name dispute with another "Interworld" company
- THQ renamed from Toy Head-Quarters, Inc.
- Warthog PLC founded
Lawsuits[edit | edit source]
- Nintendo v. Games City; Nintendo sues Games City for selling the Game Doctor and Doctor V64 backup devices for the SNES and N64 consoles. Nintendo wins the suit.
- Nintendo v. Prima Publishing; Nintendo sues Prima over copyrights to map of the N64 video game GoldenEye 007. Nintendo loses the suit
- Nintendo vs Sony Video Games; Nintendo sues Sony over copyrights about Mario game