As of 12/21, the former Encyclopedia Gamia has been redirected to this wiki, which is now the definitive wiki for this topic. To see more about this change, read more here.
1998 in video gaming
Year 1998[edit | edit source]
Console Hardware Releases[edit | edit source]
Gaming Related PC Hardware Releases[edit | edit source]
Notable Software Releases (Jan-June)[edit | edit source]
- Aeroguage - April 30
- Baldur's Gate
- Battlecruiser 3000AD
- Banjo-Kazooie - June 31
- Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
- Chopper Attack - June 17
- Cyberstorm 2
- Extreme-G - May 29 (JP)
- Extreme-G 2 - October 7
- Fallout 2
- Grim Fandango
- Leisure Suit Larry's Casino
- NFL Blitz
- NFL Quarterback Club '99
- NHL Blades of Steel 99
- Radiant Silvergun - May
- Rampage World Tour - (N64)
- Rockman & Forte - (Super Famicom) (JP)
- Space Station Silicon Valley
- Shining Force III - May 31 (NA), June 02 (EU)
- StarCraft - April
- Quake 2 - (Nintendo 64) (NA)
- Quest 64
- Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics
- WCW Nitro - (Playstation) June (EU)
- World Cup 98
- Yoshi's Story - March 1
Notable Software Releases (July-Dec)[edit | edit source]
- All Star Tennis 99 - (Playstation) (EU)
- BattleTanx - December 31
- Body Harvest - September 30
- Bomberman Hero - April 30 (JP), August 31 (NA)
- Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling - August 30
- Buck Bumble - August 30
- Cruis'n World - (N64) August 31 (NA)
- Deadly Arts - September 30
- Dual Heroes - October 31
- Elmo's Letter Adventure - (Playstation) October 16 (NA)
- F-Zero X - October 26
- GT 64: Championship Edition - August 31
- Half-Life - November
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - November 21 (JP), November 23 (NA), December 11 (EU)
- Mario Party - December 18 (JP)
- MediEvil (PS) - October 9 (EU), October 30 (NA)
- Metal Gear Solid - September 30 (NA), September 3 (JP), February 26 (EU)
- SiN - November 4
- Thief: The Dark Project - December 3
- Wetrix - November 27 (JP)
Key Events[edit | edit source]
- Penny Arcade begins!
- Duke Nukem Forever begins its second year of development. It reportedly switches from using the Quake II to the Unreal Engine. This first delay begins its historic attempt to become the most delayed game in history.
- Blizzard Entertainment creates Battle.net
- Cendant Software closes down because of accounting problems.
- The Atari name & license are bought by Hasbro Interactive.
- Book 8 in The Wheel of Time series, The Path of Daggers, is released.
- Retro Studios is formed.