|Incinerator Studios, Tantalus Media|
|PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS|
|European Release Date(s)|
|PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS|
October 30, 2009
|North American Release Date(s)|
|PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS|
October 12, 2009
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes | Codex |
Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Patches | Ratings
Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
Cars: Race-O-Rama is a racing game that was released on October 12, 2009. It is the sequel to Cars: Mater-National Championship, which was released on October 27, 2007. The PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS versions of the game were created by Tantalus Media in Melbourne and Brisbane, Australia. A toy line for the release was released in early 2009, as the name "Race O Rama" was used for the 3rd series of Mattel Die-Cast Disney Cars.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Characters
- 3 Worlds
- 4 Type of Gameplay
- 4.1 Gold Events Races
- 4.2 Other Race Events
- 4.3 Mini Games
- 4.4 Traveling with Mack
- 4.5 Garages
- 5 Cast
- 6 Trivia
- 7 External links
Plot[edit | edit source]
In the game players race against new characters through action-packed tracks to win the Race-O-Rama trophy as their own personalized Lightning McQueen.
Players can join Lightning McQueen in Radiator Springs as he prepares the Doc Hudson's racing academy of student racers for the Race-O-Rama competition. Lightning finds out that Chick Hicks has his own set of academy student racers who don't always compete fairly (as shown during the crashing of two of Doc's students during the intro race). Lightning decided to customizes himself for the four different races: Offroad racing, street racing, beach racing and speedway racing.
After Chick beats Stinger, Candice, and El Machismo, he reveals in the final race that he was only using them to learn how to beat Lightning and customize himself. After Chick loses the race, he vows his revenge on McQueen and his friends by saying that he'll come back when they least expect it and drives away in anger. Then, Candice, El Machismo, and Stinger apologized to McQueen for the way they acted. McQueen accepts their apology and tells them that they're welcome to stop by the academy anytime.
Characters[edit | edit source]
Playable Characters for DS and PSP[edit | edit source]
Playable Characters for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii[edit | edit source]
Unplayable Characters for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii[edit | edit source]
- Tommy Joe
- Count Spatula
- The Crippler
- Mia and Tia
Worlds[edit | edit source]
Besides Radiator Springs, there are 4 new worlds featured in this game. Here is the list of worlds featured:
Type of Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Gold Events Races[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 27 gold events in Cars Race-O-Rama:
Radiator Springs Speedway (1/2)[edit | edit source]
- Sprint 1 - The player races as Lightning McQueen. The opponents are Doc Students 1, 2 and 3 and all 4 of the students from the other academy. After the race, Lightning finds out that the other academy belonged to Chick Hicks. He explains that he is competing in the Race-O-Rama series to shut down the Doc Hudson Racing Academy, so everyone will come to his academy, where Chick will teach them to cheat, and then take over Radiator Springs.
- Mack Track Challenge - This is a Mini Game. Players have to do 4 laps around Mack Track Challenge as Lightning while drifting. The more drifting, the more points the player gets. On the final lap, the gate opens and Lightning jumps Mack's trailer to perform a stunt, which adds more points.
- Academy Challenge 1 - This is the first Academy Challenge. The opponents are the same as in Sprint 1.
- Hudson Student Run - Lightning makes it to the championship races. He races against top students from the rival academy. Lightning, Doc and students 1, 2 and 3 from both academies are in it. After this, players go to Radiator Springs.
Radiator Springs (1/4)[edit | edit source]
- Smash-Up 1 - Mater was "chasing his hook" in front of the Rustbucket Stadium in Ornament Valley when Bubba, Mater's archenemy, shows up with his two friends, Tater and Tater Jr. Bubba reminded Mater of a time a long time ago when they agreed to race at the Rustbucket Stadium for the towing rights to Radiator Springs. In this race, the player plays as Mater and the opponents are Sarge, Fred, Tater, Tommy Joe, Cletus, Lewis and Zeke.
- Mater the Greater - The player has to help Mater the Greater jump over Carburetor Canyon. First, they guide him down the ramp while trying to avoid hitting the sides, which slows him down. Then, they help him stay in the air, and finally try to aim for the center of the landing target.
- Road Race 1 - This is a circuit race in Tailfin Pass. The opponents include Doc, Mater, Fillmore, Sarge, Flo, Ramone, and Sheriff. After this race, the player goes to Santa Carburera for the next round in the Race-O-Rama Series.
Santa Carburera[edit | edit source]
- Road Race 2 - This is the first race in Santa Carburera, a seaside town. Before the race, Lightning gets some modifications to accomodate for the races, which increase his top speed to 199 mph. The opponents are Mater, Sarge, Fillmore, and the first two students from each academy.
- Academy Challenge 2 - This is the second race in Santa Carburera. The racers are the same as they are in Sprint 1 and Academy Challenge 1.
- Candice's Glam Tour - Before the race, Chick introduces Candice to McQueen and Flo. Sh is show to get a lot of attention from some paparazzi and claims Lightning will have trouble beating her in the race. Lightning, Candice and Flo are in the race with Doc Students 1 and 2 and Chick Students 1, 2 and 3. After Candice loses the race, she calls her dad and asks for new tires, new paint, new everything, to which he agrees to get. Next, Lightning goes back to Radiator Springs.
Radiator Springs (2/4)[edit | edit source]
- Monster Truck Mayhem 2 - This is a monster truck race in the Rustbucket Stadium. Monster McQueen is racing Monster Mater, Sulley, Count Spatula, Ginormous and the Crippler.
- Smash-Up 2 - The second Rustbucket Race. The opponents are the same as they are in Smash Up 1, except Tater Jr. replaces Cletus. In the Cut-scene, as Mater exits the Rustbucket Stadium, he gets startled by Bubba, who then teases him for being scared, but Mater claims that the only thing he's scared of is the ghostlight. Suddenly, he, along with the Taters, realize that their names all rhyme, so they go off to find more things that rhyme with their names.
- Off-Road Race 1 - A race in Ornament Valley. The opponents are Mater, Ramone, Flo and all 4 of Chick's students. After this race, players go to Autovia for the next round.
Autovia[edit | edit source]
- Off-Road Race 2 - The first race in Autovia, which is a little village in the middle of the desert. Lightning McQueen gets some bigger tires to help him drive off-road. Before the race, Chick's racing academy students are going through the MotorCo. factory and coming out as VINs. 2 VINs appear in the race along with Mater and the first 2 students from each academy.
- Academy Challenge 3 - The third Academy Challenge. Lightning McQueen and Doc Students 1 and 2 race against 3 VINs and Chick Students 2 and 4.
- Match-Up - Chick introduces El Machismo to Lightning and Sarge, whom they will be racing in the next race. He boasts about being bigger than big and badder than bad. Also in the race are 5 VINs. When El Machismo loses the race, he asks Chick to get bigger parts so that he can crush everyone. This surprises Chick, who says to himself that even he is not that much of a sore loser. Next, it is time for Lightning to go back to Radiator Springs.
Radiator Springs (3/4)[edit | edit source]
- Monster Truck Mayhem 3 - Another Monster Truck Race, which is in Sarge's Boot Camp in Radiator Springs with the same opponents as in Monster Truck Mayhem 2. In the cut-scene, the Taters tell Mater that they will get all the towing rights to Radiator Springs. Mater congratulates them and tells them about how much they will enjoy it until he remembers that he too is a tow truck, so he is left with a dilemma.
- Tokyo Mater - Mater races Kabuto around Tokyo. First, they drift around the streets before ending up in a construction zone, then go up Tokyo Tower and across the finish line. Whether the player wins or not depends on how many points they rank up.
- Road Race 3 - A race in Radiator Springs with the same opponents as those in Road Race 1. After this race, go to Motoropolis City.
Motoropolis City[edit | edit source]
- Street Race 1 - The first race in Motoropolis city. Lightning is modified again with a darker shade of red and a top speed of 190 mph. The opponents in this race are Ramone, Flo, the first students from each academy and 3 VINs.
- Academy Challenge 4 - The last race with Lightning McQueen and the academy students. Like in the 3rd one, there are 3 VINs, but also Doc Students 1, 2 and 3 and Chick Student 4.
- Stinger's Stir-Up - Chick Hicks introduces Stinger to McQueen and Ramone. Lightning greets him, but he just revs his engine. Besides Lightning, Ramone and Stinger, 5 VINs are also racing. After Stringer loses the race, Chick gets angry with him, thinking that him being a muscle car would help him beat Lightning, and asks what he has to say for himself, but instead of saying something, Stinger drives away. Lightning returns to Radiator Springs one last time before the final round.
Radiator Springs (4/4)[edit | edit source]
- El Materdor - El Materdor fight bulldozers. The goal is to anger the bulldozers enough, then get out of the way before they ram into Mater. Then, three bulldozers charge at Mater from 3 directions and the player must make Mater jump, causing them to crash into each other.
- Bubba's Bucket Bash - Mater, Bubba, and the Taters have the race in the Rustbucket Stadium for the towing rights. Sarge, Tommy Joe and Lewis are also in it. After the race, Mater expresses the fun he had in the race. The Taters had fun too, even though they lost, much to Bubba's anger. Tater explain that they feel like winners since Mater is their new friend and has a name that rhymes with theirs. Bubba drives away, vowing his revenge. After this, Lightning is ready to head back to Radiator Springs Speedway.
Radiator Springs Speedway (2/2)[edit | edit source]
- Sprint 2 - Lightning races against 7 VINs in Radiator Springs Speedway.
- Reunion Rundown - Lightning races against Stinger, Candice, El Machismo and 4 VINs before the final race with Chick.
- Chick Hicks Showdown - This is the final race. Both Lightning and Chick modify themselves with new modifications. Before the race, Chick tells Lightning that he was just using Stinger, Candice, El Machismo and the VINs to learn how to beat him. 6 VINs appear in the race as well. After the race, Lightning McQueen wins the Race-O-Rama trophy, much to Chick's disappointment. He claims he could have won if he enters the Race-O-Rama Series alone. Lightning tries explaining to him what he learned in Cars, but Chick does not listen and drives away, vowing his revenge. Later, Stinger, Candice and El Machismo come to apologized to Lightning for how they behaved on the track and admits that they like his way of racing. Lightning McQueen invites them to come by the Doc Hudson racing Academy any time. El Machismo and Candice thank him and Candice tries encouraging Stinger to do the same, but he revs his engine instead.
Other Race Events[edit | edit source]
- Point to Point Races (2 Levels on PlayStation 2 and 5 levels on PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360) - These races happen in Santa Carburera, Autovia, Tailfin Pass, Radiator Springs and Ornament Valley. Players race from the starting line to the finish line rather than do multiple laps.
- Relay Races (2 Levels) - These races are in Santa Carberera and Motoropolis City. There are 3 laps and the player controls a different car on each lap. To switch to the next car, players must tag them as they enter the next lap, or else their speed drops to zero.
- Guido Kart Race (9 Levels) - These race are played as Guido. On all of the races, which are 5 laps long, the boost meter does not refill, but there are power-ups laid along the track to collect. There are 4 different power ups: Ghost which allows players to drive through opponents and other things scattered onto the tracks, Smoke Screen which causes smoke to come out of the car's rear, blinding the other players, Turbo Charge which refills the boost meter, and Speed Boost which also refills the boost meter, but uses it up right away afterwards. These are very similar to Mario Kart. There are races in all 7 locations in the game, as well as one in the Rustbucket Stadium. The opponents are always Luigi, Mike, Doc Hudson Pitty, Chick Hicks Pitty, MotorCo. Pitty, Not Chick and Trophy Girl.
- Smash-Up 3 - This is a 3-lap race in the Rustbucket Stadium with the same opponents as in Smash-Up 2. It is the only Rustbuket Derby event not to be a Gold Event.
- Monster Truck Mayhem (5 Levels) - These are races played as monster trucks. All races are 3 laps and take place in the Rustbucket Stadium, Autovia and Ornament Valley. The opponents are always Monster Mater, Sulley, Count Spatula, Ginormous and the Crippler.
Mini Games[edit | edit source]
- Auto Crosses (7 Levels) - The goal is to drive through a course within a time limit and avoid hitting obstacles, or players will be given a time penalty. Also, they cannot jump over the obstacles because jumping is not allowed in these races.
- Photo Ops (8 Levels) - Players are placed somewhere on the map and have to get to the photo location where they must jump through a big yellow circle before the timer reaches zero. They then take control of the camera and take a picture of their car.
- Transporters (3 Levels) - Players are placed somewhere on the map like in Photo Ops, but they instead have to bring a particular object to one of the other characters, who is somewhere else on the map.
- Transporter 1: Lightning has to bring a spoiler from Willy's Butte to Doc at his garage.
- Transporter 2: Lightning has to bring a flier to Flo.
- Transporter 3: Lightning brings a tire from the northern road of Ornament Valley to Luigi at the gas station on the other side of the train tracks.
- Luigi's Tire Find - These events can be played as Luigi or Guido. The goal is to get all 15 tires around Radiator Springs in 1.5 minutes. It is similar to Luigi to the rescue in the first game, except bringing the tires back to Luigi's is not required by the player. This the only occasion in the game when Guido's boost meter can refill.
- Sheriff's Chase - As Sheriff, the goal is to catch all 3 speeders speeding around Radiator Springs. The speeders are Chick's students 1, 2 and 3. There's no time limit. It is similar to Sheriff's Hot Pursuit from the first game.
- Tractor Stampede - These events can be played as Lightning or Mater. The goal is to tip all 10 tractors in Radiator Springs before the timer reaches zero. This is similar to Tractor Tipping from the last two games.
Traveling with Mack[edit | edit source]
This is not exactly an event, but here, Lightning meets up with Mack and he take him to from the location they are in to one of the other locations:
- Radiator Springs
- Radiator Springs Speedway
- Santa Carburera
Garages[edit | edit source]
There are 3 different garages that players can go to in order to customize the body parts of Lightning McQueen in Story Mode:
- Ramone's House of Body Art
- Luigi's Casa Della Tires
- Doc's Garage
Cast[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Like the Cars movie, This game is dedicated in memory of Joe Ranft.
- Radiator Springs Speedway is now open and free to explore.
- If players go round the road back behind Radiator Cap (the giant rock behind the Courthouse with RS engraved in it), they see a mountain with lots of back ends of cars sticking out (Cadillac Range). If they look to the right, they can see a big dark brown rock, which is the top of Tailfin Pass. If they look closely in the bottom left corner of the rock, they can see Wheel Well Motel. This can also be reversed if they go up to the Wheel Well Motel and look from edge of the cliff, where they can see the road behind Radiator Cap and beyond that is Radiator Springs.
- If Lighting is left to stand for a few minutes, he will start to sleep.
- In the opening scene, the game's logo appears on a starting line which Lightning and the students race over, similar to how the Cars logo appears on a starting line in the film.
[edit | edit source]