|Take 2 Interactive|
|American Release Date(s)|
|British Release Date(s)|
April 3, 2000
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes | Codex |
Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Modding | Patches
Ratings | Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
Codename Eagle is a computer game developed by Stockholm-based studio Refraction Games and was released in November 1999. Refraction Games later merged with EA Digital Illusions CE (DICE) and developed Battlefield 1942.
The game is set in an alternate timeline, centered around events in Russia in 1917. World War I has not happened, Germany has not yet become involved with the other world powers, and instead Russia's expanding war machine threatens to throw the continent into a bloody war. The other European powers are allied against the invasion. You take control of "Red", an operative of the secret organization "Shadow Command". The goal is to uncover the Tsar's plans for Europe, using whatever means to demolish the Russian war machine from within. Codename Eagle features vehicle and first-person shooter game play.
In Codename Eagle's multiplayer mode players can battle in one of three modes: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag.
Critical response[edit | edit source]
- [78/100] - "Refraction Games creates an FPS that stands out among the many that are already on the shelf, offering a unique twist in its game play. Despite a few detractions, the game is solid and entertaining." - Gamespy
- [5.7/10] - "Codename Eagle is a short, linear, and really goofy game that's much more frustrating than it is interesting." -Gamespot
- [7.3/10] - "New action game from Talonsoft hits several highs and several lows." -IGN
- [4/5] - "There comes a time when even the most devoted first-person shooter fan wants to do something other than separate another crew of witless virtual bad guys from their lives. Talonsoft's Codename Eagle offers an inviting alternative." -GamePro
- "Here at GameSpy, we saw the diamond in the rough. If you played on a LAN, with that one particular map ... It was one of the greatest multiplayer games ever created. We'd play for hours, hopping onto that server every night to play capture-the-flag." -Gamespy
Recreations[edit | edit source]
- CE Mod released in 2003 for Battlefield 1942 (Requires version 1.3).
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- CE: Legends BF2 Mod Official Website
- Codename Eagle Nation
- UCEUK: Unofficial Codename Eagle UK
- DICE Official Website
- Unofficial Codename Eagle UK Website
- Developer Lars Gustavsson Interview @ Gamespot
- Dafoosa's Codename Eagle Blog
- Google images of Codename Eagle
- Google videos of Codename Eagle
- CE: Awards by CEBF community 2001-2002 / 2002-2003