Codex Gamicus talk:About/Archive 1
|This article has been archived. Please do not edit this page.|
What is this wiki really about?[edit source]
The article says:
"Encyclopedia Gamia (...) is a wiki that is intended to be a source of information for all types of games: Video games, Computer games, Trading Card games, Pen & paper games, Board games and more."
On the other hand it is stated that this wiki is only about video games. Quite confusing ...
- The Wiki has undergone a change of management, and the Policy/'About' pages will be reworked in due time. The Wiki itself is also a product of several events happening; mergers were conducted with other gaming wikis, and many types of content and ways of doing things were mashed together. There was also a mass Wikipedia import done by a user that we are addressing. The Wiki itself is about gaming, with a particular focus on video gaming. However, other forms of gaming, such as play-by-post, trading/collectible card games, and board games can be included here.--TwoTailedFox (My Talk Page) 20:45, November 30, 2014 (UTC)
How does this differ from the Gameinfo wiki? Robin Patterson 12:14, 7 May 2008 (UTC)
Syntax problem[edit source]
This page contains a link to an article called "Doom: The Boardgame". The link should be replaced or removed, because such titles are not permitted on Wiki. On the Doom Wiki we call it "Doom, the Boardgame" instead. Ryan W 06:44, September 29, 2009 (UTC)
Another round of renaming wanted, and a conclusion[edit source]
Seems the "About" page needs more updating so as to match the new mainpage name.
It should also have a conclusion indicating how the various streams of ideas are now merged. For example, is this wiki now meant to include everything that any of the preceding wikis encouraged? Or is it to be restricted to material about wikis, as the top of the main page suggests?
- I fixed up the article a bit, replacing the information bits with "Encyclopedia Gamia". As for the second issue -- This wiki is for information on video games. Anything that has to do with video games can be added here and have their own articles. Not sure with the merge if anything has changed. 09:57, April 18, 2012 (UTC)
- Progress. Ta. I'm glad nobody has really decided to restrict the site to info about wikis; so that bit on the front page needs attention to reduce the implication that it is primarily about wikis. However, back to my main point: don't the first two words on the page need changing? -- Robin Patterson (Talk) 15:27, April 18, 2012 (UTC)
Other encyclopedias dedicated to games[edit source]
I think it is useful to have a list of other wikis dedicated to games. I will mention here the ones that I find:
- The Independent Games Wiki
- GameFAQs - hosts FAQs and walkthroughs for video games
- StrategyWiki - video game strategy guides and walkthroughs
- PCGamingWiki - aims to list fixes and workarounds for every single PC game
- DOS Games Modding Wiki - http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/
- Game File Format Central - http://wiki.xentax.com
- REWiki - A centralized reverse-engineering documentation project - http://rewiki.regengedanken.de
- Amstrad CPC games on CPC wiki - http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Category:Games