Comanche is a series of simulation games published by NovaLogic. The goal of each of these games is to fly military missions in a RAH-66 Comanche helicopter gunship, which was in development and prototyping at the time of release.
Comanche was the first commercial flight simulation based on voxel technology via the company's proprietary Voxel Space engine (written entirely in Assembly language). This rendering technique allowed for much more detailed and realistic terrain compared to simulations based on vector graphics at that time.
Games[edit | edit source]
Throughout the years, several games and add-ons have been published:
- Comanche: Maximum Overkill (1992)
- Comanche: Global Challenge (1993) - three new campaigns
- Comanche: Over the Edge (1993) - four new campaigns
- Comanche CD (1994) - a compilation of Maximum Overkill and mission disks, plus 10 bonus missions. Rereleased In 1997 From Softkey (The Learning Company) As Comanche CD Special Edition Including A Demo Of America Online, And Windows 95 Compatibility.
- Comanche 2 (1995)
- Werewolf vs Comanche 2.0 (1995) - a pack of two games with a compatible multiplayer mode
- Comanche 3 (1997)
- Comanche Gold (1998) - Comanche 3 with additional campaigns and various enhancements
- Comanche 4 (2001)
Future[edit | edit source]
Comanche 4 was the last game in the series to be released before the RAH-66 program was cancelled in 2004. Hopes for a fifth Comanche game have faded because of the dissolution of the US Army program.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]