Death to Spies
|Death to Spies|
|1C Company, Atari|
|Stealth, Third-person Shooter|
|DVD-ROM, Digital Download|
|North American Release Date(s)|
October 16, 2007
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes | Codex |
Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Modding | Patches
Ratings | Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
Released in 2007, Death to Spies (Russian: Смерть шпионам) is a stealth action PC game set in World War II and produced by 1C Company and Haggard Games. The game was released on Valve's digital distribution system, Steam, on March 12, 2008.
Game overview[edit | edit source]
Smersh is short for "Death to Spies" (SMERt' SHpionam, Russ: СМЕРть Шпионам) in Russian, and was the name of a set of counterintelligence agencies formed in the Soviet Army during World War II around 1943. Their mission was to secure the rear of the active Red Army by arresting traitors, deserters, spies and criminal cells. During the war these agents became the main force combating the German intelligence service. As captain of the 4th department of Smersh, it is the player's job to execute these operations in the heart of enemy territory. Players are required to complete various tasks, including stealing important documents, eliminating enemy officers, kidnapping high-ranking officials, and sabotaging enemy plans.
Game features[edit | edit source]
- Third-person stealth action
- Different types of missions based on historical intelligence operations
- Freedom to choose the way a mission is completed
- Real-life indoor and outdoor locations
- A variety of different spy skills at the player’s disposal such as sneak, hide, carry dead bodies, change clothes, mine objects, throw knives, sniping, picking locks, setting traps and many others
- Weapons and vehicles of World War II
Reception[edit | edit source]
Death to Spies mostly received average reviews. The game has an average score of 70% on Game Rankings and 69% on Metacritic. GameSpot gave it a 7.0, praising its detailed level design variation and challenging missions, but at the same time noting that the game can be overly difficult at times. IGN gave it an 8.0, saying it was "horrifically difficult at times and not without its peculiarities; Death to Spies is nevertheless always interesting and wholly addictive."
Sequel[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Death to Spies (PC: 2007) Reviews. Game Rankings. Retrieved on 2008-05-30.
- Death to Spies (PC: 2007) Reviews. Metacritic. Retrieved on 2008-05-30.
- Todd, Brett (2007-10-17). Death to Spies (PC). Gamespot. Retrieved on 2008-05-30.
- Goble, Gord (2007-11-26). Death to Spies (PC). IGN. Retrieved on 2008-05-30.
- Death to Spies Sequel Announced. IGN (March 23, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-03-24
[edit | edit source]
|This third-person shooter-related article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.|