|The Longest Journey|
|Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, GNU/Linux and macOS|
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes |
Codex | Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Modding | Patches | Ratings
Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
GOG | In-Game | Origin | PlayStation Trophies | Retro
Steam | Xbox Live
Dreamfall Chapters is the episodic sequel to the adventure games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, developed by Funcom and designed by Ragnar Tørnquist, who wrote and designed the previous two games. The first chapter was released on October 21, 2014 with the final chapter being released in 2017.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Tørnquist stated (unofficially) that the Chapters will be similar to Dreamfall in terms of gameplay. The player characters will be controlled from third-person perspective but the "focus field" will no longer be used. The gameplay will be a mix of "puzzles and exploration and conversations and mini-games and action". He specifically commented that combat (a point often criticized about Dreamfall) will be "revamped" to not "feel like typical action-adventure combat [...] or be completely broken", instead "mixing puzzles, problem solving and good, old fashioned violence - and avoiding QTEs".
Story[edit | edit source]
Tørnquist since commented that the story of Dreamfall Chapters will pick up exactly where Dreamfall ended or even before that, to present its ending from an alternative point of view. According to him, the story will have a multi-threaded narrative and follow several characters, both new and old, including "a very exciting new heroine". For example, Tørnquist confirmed that Zoë Castillo and Kian Alvane, as well as episodic character Cortez, will be returning in Chapters but refused to comment on April Ryan's situation after the ending of Dreamfall. On his blog, he also dropped several hints at the future development of the story.
Development[edit | edit source]
On March 1, 2007, Funcom announced that unlike its predecessors, Dreamfall Chapters will be released in episodic format, which goes perfectly with Tørnquist's plans for the continuation of the story. As of October 2009[update], the production of the game hasn't yet begun, since all prospective developers (including Tørnquist) are currently involved with The Secret World. The plot, however, is already written out. On October 1, 2009, Funcom's Director of Communications Erling Ellingsen stated in an interview that the development of Dreamfall Chapters had been put on an "indefinite hold". Ten days later, Tørnquist contradicted Ellingsen on his blog, stating that the hold is temporary, not indefinite. On Formspring.me, Tørnquist stated that Chapters may be playable before 2013.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ragnar Tørnquist (2009-02-27). Dream a little dream(fall) for me. Retrieved on 2009-02-27
- Ragnar Tørnquist (2007-09-29). A storm of updates: iaw. Archived from the original on 2008-06-27 Retrieved on 2007-10-02 “[Dreamfall Chapters] will begin exactly where [Dreamfall] left off. We might even rewind a bit. Just to see things from a different perspective.”
- Ragnar Tørnquist (2009-06-08). Passion for money, Myrshnik, legal issues and the East Village. Retrieved on 2009-07-09
- Ragnar Tørnquist (2008-06-01). Cacoethes scribendi (and comments). Archived from the original on 2008-06-27 Retrieved on 2008-06-01
- Ragnar Tørnquist (2007-11-18). How happy (the little stone). Archived from the original on 2008-06-27 Retrieved on 2007-11-21
- Ragnar Tørnquist (2007-11-26). Wallpaper, tattoo, and other kick-ass questions, answered. Archived from the original on 2008-06-27 Retrieved on 2007-11-26
- Funcom awarded grant from Norwegian Film Fund. Funcom (2007-03-01). Retrieved on 2007-03-01
- Ragnar Tørnquist (2007-03-01). Dreamfall Chapters. Archived from the original on 2008-06-27 Retrieved on 2007-03-01 “The episodic format is perfect for the continuation of the story - it’s something I’ve been thinking about for ages...”
- Funcom Productions Interview. Game-Pad.net (2009-10-01). Retrieved on 2009-10-0
- Ragnar Tørnquist (2009-10-11). Definitely not indefinite. Retrieved on 2009-10-11
- Ragnar Tørnquist Answers. Formspring.me (2010-08). Retrieved on 2010-09-05
[edit | edit source]
- Ragnar Tørnquist on Dreamfall Chapters
- Dreamfall Chapters at the Adventure Gamers
- TLJwiki entry on Dreamfall Chapters