Gears of War/Codes
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes |
Codex | Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Modding | Patches | Ratings
Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
GOG | In-Game | Origin | PlayStation Trophies | Retro
Steam | Xbox Live
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Complete the following achievements to unlock Xbox Live Gamerscore points.
- Prison Breakout (10 points): Completed tutorial level on any skill level.
- Completed Act 1 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 1 on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 2 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 2 on Casual Difficulty
- Completed Act 3 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 3 on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 4 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 4 on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 5 on Casual (10 points): Complete Act 5 on Casual Difficulty.
- Mercenary (10 points): Complete all acts on Casual Difficulty.
- Completed Act 1 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 1 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 2 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 2 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 3 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 3 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 4 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 4 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 5 on Hardcore (20 points): Complete Act 5 on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Soldier (20 points): Complete all acts on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Completed Act 1 on Insane (20 points): Complete Act 1 on Insane Difficulty.
- Completed Act 2 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 2 on Insane Difficulty.
- Completed Act 3 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 3 on Insane Difficulty.
- Completed Act 4 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 4 on Insane Difficulty.
- Completed Act 5 on Insane (30 points): Complete Act 5 on Insane Difficulty.
- Commando (30 points): Complete all acts on Insane Difficulty.
- Time to Remember (10 points): Recover one-third of the COG tags (on any difficulty).
- Honor-Bound (20 points): Recover two-thirds of the COG tags (on any difficulty).
- For the Fallen (30 points): Recover all of the COG tags (on any difficulty).
- My Love for You Is Like a Truck (30 points): Defeat a Berserker on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Broken Fingers (30 points): Defeat a Corpser on Hardcore Difficulty.
- A Dish Best Served Cold (30 points): Defeat General RAAM on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Zen and the Art of Reloading (10 points): Perform 25 perfect active reloads (20on any difficulty).
- Zen and the Art Part 2 (20 points): Perform 5 perfect active reloads in a row (20on any difficulty).
- Clusterluck (20 points): Kill 3 enemies at once 10 different times (20on any difficulty).
- A Series of Tubes (20 points): Host and complete 50 ranked matches.
- Dom-curious (10 points): Complete 1 co-op chapter as Dominic Santiago on any difficulty.
- Domination (20 points): Complete 10 different co-op chapters as Dominic Santiago on any difficulty.
- I Can't Quit You Dom (30 points): Complete all acts in co-op as Dominic Santiago on any difficulty.
- Don't You Die On Me (10 points): Revive 100 teammates in ranked matches.
- Fall Down Go Boom (20 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the Boomshot.
- Pistolero (20 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with a pistol.
- The Nuge (20 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the Torque Bow.
- I Spy with My Little Eye (20 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the Longshot.
- Don't Hurt 'Em (20 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the Hammer of Dawn.
- It's a Massacre (10 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the Chainsaw.
- Curb Appeal (20 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the curb stomp.
- Capital Punishment (20 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with an execution.
- Is It A Spider (30 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with grenade tag.
- The Money Shot (20 points): Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with a headshot.
- Always Remember Your First (10 points): Finish playing a versus ranked match.
- Don't Hate the Player (10 points): Finish with the highest points in a ranked match.
- Mix It Up (30 points): Win a ranked match in every versus game type.
- Around the World (30 points): Win a ranked match on every versus map.
- Can't Touch Me (20 points): Win 10 ranked matches without losing a round.
- Seriously... (50 points): Kill 10,000 people in versus ranked match total.
Unlockables[edit | edit source]
Insane difficulty: Successfully complete under the Casual or Hardcore difficulty setting.
Secret Gamerpics: Successfully complete the game under the Insane difficulty setting to unlock a secret Gamepic. It has the Red Gear's Symbol behind Marcus.
Earn the Seriously ... to unlock the corresponding secret Gamerpic.
Complete any ranked versus mach to unlock a Gamerpic featuring Marcus running in the rain.
Additional video: Turn on the game and wait for the "Gears of War: Press Start" screen to appear. Do not press Start. Allow the screen to idle for a few of minutes, and a video will begin to play about Emergence Day.
Hints[edit | edit source]
Defeating Berserkers[edit | edit source]
In the final level, you first need to get the Berserker's attention. Berserkers are blind. They only go off smell and sound. Lead her all the way back to the very first train car. While she is still on it, quickly run off and press the button to release the car. Have fun watching the train car collapse and have the Berserker go with it.
Killing Berserkers usually takes two hits with the Hammer Of Dawn. However if you stick a grenade to them while they are still glowing red, then it saves the trouble of aiming again with the Hammer Of Dawn. This is easier with two players, but not too difficult to do solo.
Defeating Boomers[edit | edit source]
Boomers have rocket launchers and can usually kill you in one hit. In order to kill them safely, take cover and wait until they shoot at you before you start shooting back. Just as they start reloading is the best time to shoot them, because their gun has a very slow reload. After they reload, hide again and let them fire. Repeat this a few times to kill them.
Equip a grenade. After the Boomer fires their weapon, run next to them and press B. If done correctly you will hear a sound that indicates that the grenade has attached to the Boomer. Run away. You can kill a Boomer instantly and save ammunition by doing this. Another method that can be done later in the game is when you receive the Torque Bow. If you have the Torque Bow, wait until they fire, then launch an arrow at them. This also kills them very quickly. .
Take cover and wait for him to reload. Then, use a sniper to shoot him in the head. It will explode after about three shots. When you are reloading let him shoot so that he can reload.
Take cover and wait for the Boomer to walk up to you. Let him fire so that he can reload. Then, equip a grenade, run up to him, and punch him with it (and therefore stick it to him). Dive and roll out of the way.
Equip a Toque Bow and hold the trigger until you see the arc straighten. This indicates that the bolt will stick. Then, fire it onto the Boomer. It should kill them in one hit, even under the high difficulties.
Defeating General RAAM[edit | edit source]
When you get to General RAAM at the end of the last Act, he will have a handheld Troika heavy machine and is surrounded by a swarm of Kryll. There will also be Reavers attacking from the side of the train (ignore them). You can only damage General RAAM when the Kryll leaves him and goes for you. Stay in the light or the birds can kill you. When you start fighting him, hide behind the first rectangular block that is directly in front of the doors you came from. He will start walking towards you and shoot. When the Kryll leave him, start shooting. After a while he will get directly in front of where you are hiding. When he does, run around him and hide on the other side of the platform. Stay in the light as you run. Hide, then continue shooting him until he dies.
Get General RAAM off the Troika. When he starts walking towards you, let Dominic get his attention. Then, run towards the Troika and shoot him with it. This should kill him in seconds. This is easier in co-op mode.
If you have a difficult time accessing the second Troika-gun, try this specific gun-combo. At the level start, ensure that the Lancer Rifle and the Torque Bow are in your inventory. Collect the extra ammunition from the train car and enter the next area. When the intermission scene ends, proceed to the vault over the cement slab. Enter cover behind any of the cement blocks. You must hit RAAM with the Torque Bow to drive off the Kryll. When they fly away, immediately switch to the Lancer Rifle to execute as many headshots as possible. This may require at least a clip of ammunition each time. When the Kryll regroup, reload the Lancer Rifle immediately, and switch to the Torque Bow. Depending on various timing-issues, RAAM will advance to your location, requiring that you use the "switch cover" action to force RAAM to adapt his path-finding. Whenever RAAM's AI pauses to change direction, repeat the use of the Torque Bow/Lancer Rifle combination. This method may require at least five combos to defeat RAAM. If you run out of Torque Bow arrows, the grenades may be used as a means of "scaring off" the Kryll.
Before you actually start fighting General RAAM, make sure you have the Longshot (sniper rifle) and Torque Bow with full ammo. You can get the Longshot in the car before fighting RAAM, and ammo is also found there. When you fight RAAM, first tell Dom to cease fire. By doing this, Dom is not firing and is safe. Apparently this stops RAAM from coming towards you. The only way you can hurt RAAM is when the Kryll (the bats around him) are not shielding him. Use the Torque Bow to get rid of the shielding Kryll, then take out the Longshot and give RAAM a headshot. It is very important to reload quickly. If you are lucky and can get a couple of active reloads, you can headshot RAAM twice before the Kryll shield him. Continue this process until RAAM is dead and you complete the game.
To defeat RAAM at the end of the game, simply duck behind the first blockade (the one you start at). Use the sniper rifle to shoot RAAM from a distance and remain ducked until he gets to the other side of the block. Stay ducked on the light and when he sends the Kryll guarding him to attack you, blind shoot and him. At this spot he is unable to shoot you. Just continue until he is dead. Also, do not worry about saving your teammate or shooting the Reavers as they are only distractions.
Before you exit the room to fight General RAAM, you should still have the bow. Do not trade it with the sniper. Cover behind the first spot that you can and wait for him to get close to you. When he gets close enough, run up to the turret so that the bat Locusts cannot hurt you. When you get to the turret, shoot RAAM with the bow and the Kryll will leave him. When this happens, get into the turret as quickly as possible and blast him away.
Play in co-op mode. Player one must have a Lancer (chainsaw) and a Longshot (sniper). Player two must have a Lancer and a Torque Bow. Make sure both players have full ammunition. Go out to fight the general. Once the RAAM scene ends, have Player one switch to the Longshot and player two switch to the Torque Bow. Have player two shoot the general with the Torque Bow. This should take the Kryll off of him. Then, have player one try to get as many headshots as possible before the Kryll come back to guard RAAM. Keep doing this until the Torque Bow is out of ammunition. When this happens, have player two take out his Lancer then have both players wait for the Kryll to hit the light. Both players should continue doing this until the Longshot has run out of ammunition. At this point player one will do the same thing as player two and take out his Lancer and shoot RAAM when he is in the light. Keep doing this until he is dead.
Defeating the Corpser[edit | edit source]
In Act 3, you are in the Locust tunnels and must plant the Resonater in the building behind a lava filled lake. There are rocks on top of the lava, allowing you to just walk across. However, it is not that easy. About one third of the way across an intermission sequence starts, with a giant spider creature, the Corpser. For this battle all you need is a shotgun and machine gun. This will be a fairly long range fight. It is an easy fight but Wretches that come from everywhere complicate it. When the Corpser raises all his legs and slams them down, most likely your teamate will yell "Wretches!". This is your cue to bring out a shotgun or use your machine gun. At the beginning you should have a point of interest on the stomach, which is your cue to shoot it. You can always get a shot on it, even when the Corpser shields itself; or you can wait till it try an attack then unload on its belly. After that there will be another point of interest, which is in its mouth. After you shoot the belly it cringes and its mouth opens as it screams. Shut it up by shooting the mouth. While you are doing this, watch out for the Corpser's Ground Pound. It not only brings Wretches (watch the ceiling), but also takes away part of the arena in the back. If your character dies in the back he might be lost. Your ammo cases may also be lost. Keep repeating the process of shooting the belly and the mouth full of lead until the Corpser backs up as far as it. It can no longer be hurt. There will now be a point of interest around the smashable latches. There are two of them. Shoot both of the latches so that they pop, and the platform that the Corpser is on will be sent into the lava.
In the Act named "Belly Of The Beast", there is a giant spider that you have to fight. It will hide itself behind its legs (which are bullet proof). In order to hurt it you must move to a location where you can shoot its belly. After a few shots it will move its legs and scream. You must now have to shoot it in the mouth, which will cause it to back up. After doing this a few times it should back up onto a metal platform that is over lava. There will be two hatches that are holding the platform up. You must stand on them until the spider tries to stomp on you. Just before it hits you, jump out of the way. It will hit the hatch instead of you. This will begin breaking the hatches. Doing this a few times on both hatches should break them and kill the spider. Note: Doing this under the Hardcore difficulty will earn you an achievement. Also, there will be Wretches that will attack you while you fight the spider. Be sure to kill them before they kill you.
Easy Clusterluck achievement[edit | edit source]
Play Act 1 under the Casual difficulty setting. Play the very first chapter "14 Days after E-day" until reaching the part where you are about to go outside for the second time. This is when the Locusts are about to break open the door. Run to the door that is not in front of them or you will die. Make sure you have frag grenades equipped. When they break open the door, stick the very first Locust that comes through the door then stand in front of him so he cannot run away. When the grenade explodes it should kill all three of the Locusts and you might survive. If you survived make sure that you killed all three of them then pause game play. Load the last checkpoint and do this ten times. You do not have to survive while trying to get this achievement.
Play the "Evolution" section of Chapter 3. After you rescue the stranded, you will reach a point where you must cross wooden floor boards that may fall away. Cross all the way to the other side where the respawning grenades are located. Standing just at the edge of the planks, wait until a few wretches gather underneath. Then, toss a grenade in the middle of the group. Refill your grenades as needed. To make it even easier, do this is co-op mode and have your partner stand on the planks looking down into the pit.
Easy achievement points for Co-Op mode[edit | edit source]
When starting a Co-Op campaign, instead of logging into your main Gamertag as player one, log in as player two. Doing this from the beginning or while replaying chapters will let you play as Dominic Santiago. There are several achievements that you will unlock playing as him. Also if you start as Dominic from the beginning, you will not gain any less points then you would as the main character and it will save you a lot of time.
Emergence holes[edit | edit source]
When an emergence hole opens up, toss a grenade into it. This will automatically close the hole, and therefore keep the Locusts from coming out.
The Hammer of Dawn can easily destroy emergence holes. You must activate it by targeting an enemy first, and then aim it toward the emergence hole.
[edit | edit source]
When playing campaign mode, look for the dead soldier symbol (red gear with skull inside) painted on a wall, floor, or other location. This indicates that the Locust have killed some Gear soldiers in the area. Because Gear soldiers wear C.O.G. Tags, you should be able to find one nearby.
Act 2: C.O.G. tag location[edit | edit source]
When you reach the part with the spotlight, instead of going straight, go to the left. You should find a cog tag there.
Faster reload times[edit | edit source]
In order to reload, press RB. There will now be a clear bar with a small white segment somewhere along it. It will appear where your bullets used to be. There will also be a smaller white bar moving across the clear bar. As soon as the white bare gets inside the white segment, press RB again. This will make you reload much faster, and if timed just perfectly can give your gun an extra boost in fire power. However if you do not time it correctly, the clear bar will become red and it will take even longer to reload than if you had not attempted it.
"About face" maneuver[edit | edit source]
This type of move is done when your character whips around 180 degrees quickly. To do it, hold Analog-stick Away to start walking backwards + A for a short time. Release A when your character turns around to perform it. To avoid frag grenades or retreat somewhere fast, keep holding A and Marcus will "roadie run" in the opposite direction.
Two player path block[edit | edit source]
Use the following trick while playing in two player mode and you reach a difficult part with a doorway. Have one player die in the doorway. This creates a block that the Locust cannot get past. They will usually line up behind your dead partner, allowing you a safe zone to easily pick off the queued up enemy. Once it is clear, just revive your friend and move on.
Chainsaw rev[edit | edit source]
When you have the chainsaw activated, hold B and tap RT. This should make the chainsaw emit a loud grinding sound. It is not clear if there is any purpose to this.
Glitches[edit | edit source]
Glitch: Stuck in Co-op Campaign Act 5: Get near the end of Act 5 on Co-op Campaign mode. When you have just used the Troika Gun Turrets to defeat the Reavers, have a player climb down the ladder and walk to the nearby door, as if about to start the intermission sequence. Then have the other player climb down the ladder, but climb immediately back up as the other player enters the door to start the intermission sequence. This will lock the ladder and trap the player up the ladder with the turrets. The other player will not be able to progress any further or climb back up to join the other player.