|Publisher(s)||Monolith Productions (Windows version)|
Linux Game Publishing (Linux version)
e.p.i.c. Interactive (Macintosh version)
|Age rating(s)||ESRB: M|
|Platform(s)||Linux, Mac OS X, Windows|
|Arcade system||Arcade System Missing|
|Input||Keyboard and mouse|
|Requirements||• Linux - 300 MHz x86 CPU (PowerPC supported); 64 MB of RAM, 500 MB of free hard disk space; 4 MB GPU
• Mac - 300 MHz G3 CPU; 128 MB of RAM; 8 MB video card; Mac OS 9 or better
|Credits | Soundtrack | Codes | Walkthrough|
Gorky 17 (released as Odium in North America) is a turn-based tactics computer game developed by Polish developer Metropolis Software and published by Monolith Productions for Windows in 1999. The game was later ported to Linux by Hyperion Entertainment and published by Linux Game Publishing in 2006. Hyperion Entertainment also announced an AmigaOS 4 of Gorky 17 but still nothing has currently been released.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The game features two modes: In the real-time 'exploration' mode, the player controls game characters using a mouse in a point-and-click manner to navigate the player characters through the city as well as interacting with various objects in the game world.
Combat takes place in pre-set encounters located in specific areas of each level map.
In the 'combat' mode, the screen is divided into squares with player and computer-controlled characters taking turns trying to eliminate the opposing party. In one turn each game character can move by a certain number of squares and use a weapon once, or decide to take cover instead. Weapons have different tactical effects, for example the pistol can only be fired orthogonally, while the rifle can be fired orthogonally and diagonally.
The game ends if any player-controlled character dies.
Story[edit | edit source]
The player commands a small group of NATO soldiers who must reveal the mystery behind the sudden appearance of hybrid creatures in a small Polish city near Lublin. The city is being terrorized, the area is surrounded by NATO troops and media from all over the world, and the first group sent into the city disappears without a trace. The main hero of the story is the 40-year old soldier Cole Sullivan, a commando team member with extensive scientific knowledge. His team's task is to explain the hybrids' presence and to find the missing members of Group One.
Sequels[edit | edit source]
Gorky Zero: Beyond Honor (2003) and Gorky 02: Aurora Watching (2005) both continued with Cole Sullivan as the protagonist.
- Gorky Zero: Beyond Honor is a third-person isometric stealth action game. The story serves as a prequel to Gorky 17. The game was never published in the English-language market, but JowooD will be responsible for the English translation and release in North America and the United Kingdom.
- Gorky 02: Aurora Watching is a third-person stealth action game, and a sequel to Gorky 17. The game was published in the English-language market by Dreamcatcher Interactive as Soldier Elite, although the English translation ignores all ties to the previous Gorky titles, for example changing the protagonist's name from Cole Sullivan to White Fox. The English language story concerns the protagonist infiltrating a secret Russian base where scientists are developing enhanced human soldiers called "Crazy Ivans".
Critical reception[edit | edit source]
IGN rated the PC version of Gorky 17 as "decent", highlighting the mix of turn-based strategy, adventure and RPG genres. Grahpically, "the environments themselves are nicely drawn, character animations are very fluid, and the atmosphere presented is ultimately quite captivating." Criticisms included the lack of a line-of-sight mechanic and some interface flaws.
References[edit | edit source]
- Odium for PC - GameFAQs
- Hyperion and Metropolis announce AmigaOS 4 version of Gorky 17
- IGN Staff (December 7, 1999). Odium - PC Review. IGN. Retrieved on 2010-06-28
[edit | edit source]
- Metropolis Software homepage
- Official Gorky 17 for Linux page
- Review of Linux version in issue 17 of Tux Magazine
- 'Gorky 17' at MobyGames