Hello Kitty Online
|Hko beta box.jpg|
|Publisher(s)||Template:Flagicon Level Up! Games|
July 1, 2009 (ID)
|Age rating(s)||Ratings Missing|
|Arcade system||Arcade System Missing|
|Media||1 DVD, download|
|Credits | Soundtrack | Codes | Walkthrough|
Hello Kitty Online (HKO) is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online role playing game developed by Sanrio Digital and Typhoon Games. The game is tied to the SanrioTown website, where players are required to register a free account.
- 1 Premise
- 2 History
- 3 International Releases
- 4 Global in-game events
- 5 Game play
- 6 Community
- 7 Item Mall
- 8 Reception
- 9 Award
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Premise[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
SanrioDigital hosted three phases of testing.
Closed Beta[edit | edit source]
Due to the limited number of testing accounts available, applicants were instructed to create a video explaining why the applicant should be chosen to participate in the closed beta test. This submission process ran until March 10, 2008 with selected applications being announced on March 18, 2008.
Founders' Beta[edit | edit source]
On September 12, 2008, news was posted on the Official Blog announcing a Beta stage called "Founders' Beta" scheduled to run from October 8, 2008 to November 8, 2008. Players who are selected for the Founder's Beta will be given special rewards, and will be able to keep characters and possessions at the end of the Founder's Beta. The announcement stated that there would be improvements to the client and game systems. A press release was also posted on the Sanrio Digital blog. Applications to participate in the Founders' Beta were accepted through email, through which 20,000 accounts were issued.
Food for Friends[edit | edit source]
From November 3–6, 2008, Sanrio ran Food for Friends, a charity event where guilds crafted in-game food for donation UNICEF and the Asian Youth Orchestra. Based on the distribution of crafted food (quantity, difficulty, etc.), Sanrio Digital made a cash donation to those charities. During the event, guilds produced a total of 344,965 items which were donated to the Game Masters. This was in turn calculated at a value of $12,273, to be donated to UNICEF and the Asian Youth Orchestra.
Public stress test[edit | edit source]
Announced on February 2, 2009, was a public stress test which ran from February 14 though February 17. All SanrioTown members, excepting those located in Europe, were invited to participate in the public stress test. The public stress test was extended until February 22, during which a new charity event was announced, allowing players to craft in-game items. Similar to the previous Food for Friends event, the actual in-game items were used as a conversion rate to real-world goods which were donated to the Po Leung Kuk residential child care unit.
International Releases[edit | edit source]
Indonesian region[edit | edit source]
Sanrio Digital partnered with GOGAME to publish HKO in Indonesia. An Indonesian version of Founders' Beta started on April 15, 2009, running through April 29, 2009. The Indonesian Open Beta phase ran from June 16, 2009 through June 24, 2009.
The commercial release of the Indonesian version was launched on July 1, 2009.
Singapore and Malaysia[edit | edit source]
Philippines[edit | edit source]
The game is officially published in the Philippines by Level Up! Games, launching an Open Beta on September 25, 2009, and a commercial launch occurring on November 11, 2009. On July 8, 2010, the Philippines version of HKO shutdown for an estimated period of three months, expecting to reopen on October 7, 2010
Europe[edit | edit source]
Hello Kitty Online was originally published by Burda: in Europe, with the game commercially launching on September 25, 2009. On March 26, 2010, Burdia: and SanrioDigitally formally announced that SanrioDigital will begin self-publishing the European version of HKO. On April 7, 2010, Burda: ceased to publish HKO Europe.
Thailand[edit | edit source]
SanrioDigital announced C2 Vision as the publisher of HKO in Thailand on October 14, 2009. The Thai version of HKO went into closed beta on May 28, 2010, with a commercial launch on July 5, 2010.
North America[edit | edit source]
Brazil[edit | edit source]
GameMaxx will publish Hello Kitty Online in Brazil.
Global in-game events[edit | edit source]
On January 16, 2010, Sanrio Digital announced Food For Friends 2, the charity-driven in-game event to raise donations for charitable causes. The mechanics were similar to the previous Food For Friends, with players from North America, Singapore, Malaysia and Europe invited to participate. During the 10-day event, players from the various regions donated in-game items which were converted to US$18,038.30, the donations being delivered to Doctors Without Borders in response to the earthquake in Haiti.
A new event, Chocolate Harbor Rescue, was released on September 9, 2010. During the event, players accumulate points which be used to calculate a charitable contribution as follows:
- 50% of the funds will be provided to the Oceana group in support of recovery from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill
- 50% will be donated to UNICEF to provide support in recovery of the 2010 Pakistan floods
Game play[edit | edit source]
Combat is secondary in HKO with focus on resource collecting and crafting. Several different locales based on, and named after, cities such as Beijing, Paris, London, Tokyo, and New York are present as well wholly original and explorable areas.
All players are represented by customizable human avatars. Available options during character creation include gender, hairstyle, eyes, skin tone, face and even blood type.
Combat, though not the primary focus of the game, is still relevant. Weapons take the form of various blunt implements such as brooms, flyswatters and microphone stands. Players enter combat by right-clicking on a nearby monster, at which point the avatar and the monster will begin to exchange blows. Monsters don't die in HKO, but when their health bar is fully depleted they become dizzy, pass out and are defeated, allowing players to loot them.
Resource Collection Skills[edit | edit source]
In the majority of MMORPGs players receive experience points and level increments by defeating opponents and completing quests; this is not the case in HKO, where players level-up primarily through resource collection and item crafting.
Collecting resources is an important aspect of HKO because many items found in the game are obtained by crafting or purchasing from NPC vendors. Crafted items are generally superior to items bought from NPC vendors. Players must have the appropriate ingredients and/or resources in their inventory if they wish to craft.
Resource collection has four subtypes of skill: Woodcutting, Gathering, Planting and Mining. Players must choose a primary and a secondary skill from these four subtypes. A character's chosen skills can reach much higher levels than skills not chosen. Since higher-level resources require a higher corresponding level, players are encouraged to trade amongst each other for resources. In order to gather resources players must equip a resource gathering tool such as a pick-axe and click on an available resource node. Resource tools have level requirements in respective skills (e.g., an advanced pick-axe would require a higher level in the Mining skill).
Item Crafting[edit | edit source]
Item crafting is a key feature of Hello Kitty Online and, like resource collection, is divided into four skill subtypes: Cooking (food items that replenish health, energy or both); Tools/Weapons, Clothes (like weapons, clothes need to be created by the players themselves but can be traded to other players) and Furniture.
Farming[edit | edit source]
Each player receives a starter farm upon entering the game for the first time. The farm serves as the primary form of income in the game. Crops grown on the farm can be sold, traded to other players, or crafted into different items. Players can also purchase bigger and nicer (and pricier) farms. Successful farming requires players to take into consideration variables such as land fertility, pests and growth factors.
Pet System[edit | edit source]
Every defeated monster in HKO has a chance of dropping a rare pet card that can be used to gain that monster's service, effectively making that monster a player's pet. Players may own a maximum of 3 pets in total, and only one pet can be used at any time. Pets have a variety of roles: they can act as mules, providing extra inventory space; some pets provide a buff to player stats while they are in service; lastly, they are able to help when it comes to collecting resources. Pets gain levels from food: when pets are fed regularly, their stats and level will increase over time.
Player versus Player (PvP)[edit | edit source]
Hello Kitty Online contains no direct PvP, though players may choose to compete amongst themselves in a number of available minigames.
Minigames[edit | edit source]
Minigames available in-game and in SanrioTown web site member's area provide players a chance to compete with each other.
Housing System[edit | edit source]
Each player's farm has an allotted space on which the farm's owner can build a house. In order to build a house, players require a land certificate, which can be bought from an NPC or received as a quest reward. Construction can begin after sufficient amounts of the required resources have been accumulated. There is a variety of different houses; the more elaborate and extravagant, the more expensive.
Once a house is completed, players can furnish the interiors with different appliances, furniture and interior elements such as wallpapers and floorboards.
Socializing[edit | edit source]
Community[edit | edit source]
The design of Hello Kitty Online emphasizes the use of the game and SanrioTown web site as a social community platform. A number of social features found on SanrioTown were integrated directly into the game client, and HKO players are able to access SanrioTown’s video sharing service, blogs and emails with a hellokitty.com address. Players can also participate in the discussions posted on the community forums.
Item Mall[edit | edit source]
The Item Mall will be located both on the SanrioTown website and will also be accessible while playing the game. At the Item Mall players will purchase premium items including unique clothes, pets, weapons and house designs. Purchases will require Sanrio Loyalty Points (which are gained from using SanrioTown services such as blogs), and Sanrio Cash Points (which are purchased using real money). Another method is paying money in exchange for points using game cards.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Hello Kitty Online's Closed Beta garnered mixed, though mostly positive, reactions from the media and players. Noctalis.com called it "a cloyingly sweet pink-filled wonderland of talking animals set to a chirpy soundtrack". The game's sprite-based and isometric perspective 2.5D graphics were criticized as 10-year old technology, and the lack of customization options for each character (e.g. dye kits or ways to change the color of the home items) was noted.
IGN's hands-on review of the Closed Beta was largely favorable, concluding:
With the SanrioTown blog feature, gamers were able to share their experiences while playing the game. The players were also responsible for helping out the newbies with their blog and video tutorials. Generally, players found other players and the HKO staff to be pleasant and helpful, citing the HKO environment as a breather from the "griefing" and PvP-confrontations that affect most online games.
House building was found to be difficult and players complained that they had to ask their guild mates to help. Hello Kitty Online's Closed Beta was praised for being largely free of bugs; the help and support provided by the developers was praised by players as swift and earnest, and it was considered a remarkable achievement by one reviewer.
A post on the Outblaze Blog dated February 15, 2008 summarized several online reactions to the closed beta announcement, and included humorous comments from influential game blog Kotaku, ValleyWag, InventorSpot, Japanator, and others.
HKO Insider[edit | edit source]
On April 1, 2008, the World of Warcraft news and strategy web site WoW Insider announced that it would no longer cover World of Warcraft, but would switch to Hello Kitty Online. The banner that originally read "WoW Insider" was replaced with one that read "HKO Insider", with images of Hello Kitty on both ends. WoW Insider's April 1 content consisted exclusively of satirical articles (at least 26 of them) based on Hello Kitty Online. In the 28th article to be posted to the web site, an announcement was made that the site would revert back to WoW Insider.
Island Adventure Pack[edit | edit source]
On April 1, 2008, Sanrio Digital issued an April Fools' Day announcement revealing the first Hello Kitty Online expansion pack, entitled "Island Adventure", was scheduled for release in 2009. The news was posted on the main SanrioTown blog as well as the official HKO Blog. The title of the fictional expansion pack is a reference to the South Park episode "Make Love Not Warcraft". in which the character Butters Stotch states that he prefers "Hello Kitty Island Adventure" to more violent and competitive games such as World of Warcraft.
According to Sanrio Digital's April Fools' release: Template:Bquote
Award[edit | edit source]
Hello Kitty Online was awarded a Best Digital Entertainment Award for the 2008 Hong Kong ICT Awards.
References[edit | edit source]
- Sanrio Digital and Level Up! Games will publish Hello Kitty Online in Philippines. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2009-04-11
- Sanrio Digital and GOGAME announce Hello Kitty Online for Indonesia. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2009-04-11
- Hello Kitty Online to Debut in Malaysia and Singapore. SanrioDigital (June 16, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-06-16
- Sanrio Digital and GameMaxx Announce Hello Kitty Online coming to Brazil. SanrioDigital (June 16, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-06-16
- Hello Kitty Online Closed Beta Starts in Thailand!. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2010-05-28
- Kabar gembira tentang Commercial Launch HKO-ID. GOGAME. Retrieved on 2009-07-01
- Hello Kitty Online FAQ. Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- Hello Kitty Online. IGN.com. Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- Devries, Jack (2008-05-29). Hello Kitty Online Hands-on — Page 1. IGN.com. Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- About Hello Kitty Online. Hellokittyonline.com. Retrieved on 2008-08-08
- Maris, Daisy (2008-04-22). Hello Kitty Online Closed Beta Testing Starts Tonight!. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- Rick, Christophor (2008-06-05). Hello Kitty Online - Closed Beta Report. Generationgamerz.com. Retrieved on 2008-07-30
- Hello Kitty MMORPG goes beta. SanrioDigital (February 13, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Last Chance to Subscribe for HKO Closed Beta!. SanrioDigital (February 22, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- More buzz on Hello Kitty Online. SanrioDigital (February 20, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Instructions for our Closed Beta Subscribers. SanrioDigital (February 25, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- HKO Dream Studio Closed Beta Application Period Is Over. SanrioDigital (March 10, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Congratulations to our selected Closed Beta Testers!. SanrioDigital (March 18, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Hello Kitty Online Closed Beta has begun!. SanrioDigital (April 23, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- HKO Closed Beta extended, again!. SanrioDigital (May 23, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- "Hello Kitty Online on MMOSite". Hello Kitty Online Blog. 2008-05-14. http://blog.sanriotown.com/onlinegame:hellokitty.com/2008/05/14/hello-kitty-online-on-mmosite/. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- Hello Kitty Closed Beta Account Giveaway Event. MMOsite. Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- Exclusive Hello Kitty Online Interview With Abigail Reyes. Ten Ton Hamster. Retrieved on 2008-09-19
- Wanted: Founders for Hello Kitty Online!. Hello Kitty Online Official Blog (2008-09-12). Retrieved on 2008-09-14
- Maris, Daisy (2008-09-12). Hello Kitty Online announces Founders' Beta. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2008-09-14
- Food for Friends. Hello Kitty Online. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2008-11-09
- Food for Friends Results: Total Item Count. Hello Kitty Online. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2008-11-09
- Hello Kitty Online players raise over 12,000 USD for UNICEF and AYO. Hello Kitty Online. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2008-11-09
- Ngo, Doug (2008-11-08). "Hello Kitty gamers raise food for charity". Crave (CNet). http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10086183-1.html. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- Happy Hearts and Stress-Testing HKO. Hello Kitty Online. Sanrio. Retrieved on 2009-02-10
- New Installer and Patch Now Available for Download!. Hello Kitty Online. Sanrio. Retrieved on 2009-02-10
- Hello Kitty Online will remain open 5 more days! Mystery Charity Event!. Hello Kitty Online Game. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2009-03-07
- Helping Hearts Charity Event. Hello Kitty Online. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2009-03-07
- Sanrio Digital Donates Shirts and Bags to Po Leung Kuk. SanrioDigital (March 13, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-05-31
- Sanrio Digital and GOGAME announce Hello Kitty Online for Indonesia. SanrioDigital (March 11, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Hello Kitty Online Founders' Beta. GOGAME (March 24, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Masa Founders’ Beta HKO-ID berakhir (Indonesian). GOGAME (April 29, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Hello Kitty Online Indonesia Open Beta (Indonesian). GOGAME (June 10, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Penutupan Open Beta Hello Kitty Online Indonesia (Indonesian). GOGAME (June 23, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Hello Kitty Online has first commercial launch in Indonesia!. SanrioDigital (July 3, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Hello Kitty Online to launch in Singapore and Malaysia. SanrioDigital (June 16, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Great News! Gloot.net HKO Founders Beta Extension. gloot.net (June 30, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-03
- Come and Play this 15th October 2009. gloot.net. Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- Hello Kitty Online:Europe and Philippines. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- Hello Kitty Online Commercially Launched in the Philippines!. Sanrio Digital. Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- Hello Kitty Online Temporary Shutdown. LevelUp! Games (2010-07-01). Retrieved on 2010-07-20
- Important news and changes for all players of Hello Kitty Online Europe. Burda:ic (2010-03-26). Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- Game Servers shut down on April 7th 2010, 1am. Burdi:ic (2010-04-07). Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- C2 Vision and Sanrio Digital join forces to bring Hello Kitty Online to Thailand. Sanrio Digital (2009-10-14). Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- Hello Kitty Online Closed Beta Starts in Thailand!. Sanrio Digital (2010-05-28). Retrieved on 2010-07-20
- Hello Kitty Online Commercial Launch in Thailand!. Sanrio Digital (2010-07-05). Retrieved on 2010-07-20
- Sanrio Digital and Aeria Games announce Hello Kitty Online for North America. Sanrio Digital (2009-03-25). Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- HKO North America transitioning to Sanrio Digital. Aeria Games (2010-25-05). Retrieved on 2010-02-06
- Sanrio Digital and GameMaxx Announce Hello Kitty® Online coming to Brazil (2009-06-05). Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- Food for Friends 2 – the popular Guild competition is back!. Sanrio Digital (2010-01-16). Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- Food for Friends 2 Results: HKO players raise money for Haiti. Sanrio Digital (2010-02-22). Retrieved on 2010-04-07
- Hello Kitty Online to Raise Funds for Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill, Devastating Floods in Pakistan (2010-09-09). Retrieved on 2010-09-12
- Aslanbaigi, Ali (2008-07-19). Chinajoy 2008: Hello Kitty Online Interview - Page 2. Interview. MMOSite.com. http://news.mmosite.com/content/2008-07-19/20080719201204068,2.shtml. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- Koh, Carolyn (2008-06-12). Hello Kitty Online Beta Preview. MMORPG.com. Retrieved on 2008-07-30
- Fuller, Padma (2008-06-24). Hello Kitty Online: An Exclusive Preview of Closed Beta. TenTonHamster.com. Retrieved on 2008-07-30
- Aslanbaigi, Ali (2008-05-27). Hello Kitty Online Exclusive Interview - Part 1. Interview with Padma Fuller. TenTonHamster.com. http://www.tentonhamster.com/node/1420. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- Aslanbaigi, Ali (2008-05-29). Hello Kitty Online Exclusive Interview - Part 2. Interview with Padma Fuller. TenTonHamster.com. http://www.tentonhamster.com/node/1421. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- Devries, Jack (2008-05-29). Hello Kitty Online Hands-on — Page 2. IGN.com. Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- Chinajoy 2008: Hello Kitty Online Interview – Page 3. MMOsite (2008-07-19). Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- Game/Community Integration. Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- "HKO Closed Beta extended, again!". Hello Kitty Online Blog. 2008-05-23. http://blog.sanriotown.com/onlinegame:hellokitty.com/2008/05/23/hko-closed-beta-extended-again/. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- Hello Kitty Online Closed Beta Review - Gateway MMOG. Noctalis.com (2008-05-30). Retrieved on 2008-07-31
- "HKO Tutorial Slide". Codename Tom. 2008-05-14. http://blog.sanriotown.com/hkotest302:hellokitty.com. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- Rick, Christopher (2008-05-06). Hello Kitty Online - Closed Beta Report. Generationgamerz.com. Retrieved on 2008-07-30
- El-Mouelhy, Ibrahim (2008-02-15). Hello Kity Online Storms Through Blogosphere. http://blog.outblaze.com/2008/02/15/hello-kitty-mmorpg-storms-through-blogosphere/. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- Schramm, Mike (2008-04-01). Announcement: WoW Insider is now HKO Insider. WoW Insider. Retrieved on 2008-07-29
- Schramm, Mike (2008-04-01). WoW Insider is back, HKO Insider cancelled. WoW Insider. Retrieved on 2008-07-29
- "Hello Kitty Online Announces Island Adventure Expansion Pack". SanrioTown Official BLOG. 2008-04-01. http://blog.sanriotown.com/blog/2008/04/01/hello-kitty-online-announces-island-adventure-expansion-pack/. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Hello Kitty Online Announces Island Adventure Expansion Pack". Hello Kitty Online Blog. 2008-04-01. http://blog.sanriotown.com/onlinegame:hellokitty.com/2008/04/01/hello-kitty-online-announces-island-adventure-expansion-pack/. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Hello Kitty Island Adventure". Fashion Blog. 2008-04-02. http://blog.sanriotown.com/webfashion:hellokitty.com/2008/04/02/hello-kitty-island-adventure/. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- Whitcomb, Daniel (2008-04-02). Breaking News: Hello Kitty Island Adventures expansion announced!. WoW Insider. Retrieved on 2008-09-02
- Hong Kong ICT Awards 2008. Retrieved on 2009-02-10
[edit | edit source]
- Hello Kitty Online: Official Game Site
- Hello Kitty Online: Official Announcement Blog
- Hello Kitty Online: Official Event Blog
HKO Game Master Blogs