|Game Series||Mario series|
|First Appearance||Super Mario Bros. 3, 1990|
|Trademark:||rainbow hair and swirly eye glasses|
In Super Mario Bros. 3 Iggy steals a magical wand from the king of Giant Land and transforms him into a dinosaur (in remakes, he's Donkey Kong Jr., Mario's enemy from the game of the same name). Mario faces Iggy after the defeat of Wendy O. Koopa, Iggy's sister. Mario does away with this looney koopa and reverts the king to his normal self.
In Super Mario World, Iggy is the first boss Mario must face. He has set up shop over on Yoshi's Island. The fight takes place upon a platform suspended in the middle (like a sewsaw) over a pit of lava. To defeat this crazy koopa Mario must knock Iggy off the platform and into the lava below. After Iggy's defeat Mario destroys his castle by blowing it up with dynamite.
Iggy keeps his placement as the first Koopaling Mario must face in Mario & Luigi: Superstar saga. This time, however, he is not alone. Mario has brought his brother, Luigi, to help. Iggy disorients the Bros. Mario by spinning around them at top speed. This confusion causes the controls to be switched around. Mario and Luigi then must avoid flames on their way to where Iggy has stopped. Iggy attacks by shooting fireballs at the brothers which can be deflected back at him.
Iggy Koopa is the boss of World 5 in New Super Mario Bros Wii. He is faced twice in World 5. He fights alone in the fortress, but in the castle, Iggy has a Chain Chomp backing him up. Both times, Iggy will shoot green energy balls out of his magic wand. It should also be noted that in this game, Iggy is taller, thinner, and his hair is now green instead of rainbow.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for Super Mario Bros. 3 portrayed Iggy with blue eyes, but later depictions (including Super Mario World and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga) show him with eyes that are swirls instead.
- In the Super Mario Bros. movie, one of King Koopa's cousins is also named Iggy.
Iggy's Main Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - 1990
- Super Mario World (SNES) - 1991
- Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) - 1993
- Yoshi's Safari (SNES) - 1993
- Mario Is Missing! (NES, SNES, PC) - 1993
- Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World (Game Boy Advance) - 2002
- Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (Game Boy Advance) - 2003
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - 2009
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 2011
- New Super Mario Bros. U - 2012
- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam 2015-2016
Iggy's Other Appearance[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Super Mario Bros. Info Station - Theoretical Origin of the Koopalings' Names
- Mario Characters FAQs
- Wikipedia's Koopa Kid page
- nintelligent network - Mario & Luigi Superstar saga ending guide