List of games notable for bad reception
These games are notable for being awful for a variety of reasons.
- 1 Custer's Revenge
- 2 ET
- 3 Pac Man for the Atari 2600
- 4 Takeshi no Chōsenjō
- 5 Action 52
- 6 Most CDi games
- 7 Plumbers Don't Wear Ties
- 8 The Town with No Name
- 9 Bubsy 3D
- 10 South Park (PC and PS1)
- 11 Superman 64
- 12 Daikatana
- 13 Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis
- 14 Charlie's Angels
- 15 Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing
- 16 Drake Of The 99 Dragons
- 17 Ninjabread Man
- 18 Sonic 06
- 19 Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust
- 20 Stalin vs. Martians
- 21 The WarZ
- 22 Ride to Hell: Retribution
- 23 Ashes Cricket 2013
- 24 References
Custer's Revenge was a game made by Mystique for the Atari 2600. It even had a label with the text "Adult Game Cartridge". This description is accurate, as the game portrays Custer dodging arrows in order to rape a native American woman. Atari recieved numerous complaints about the game's content and it was ultimately pulled out of circulation, with Atari threatening to sue. The content wasn't the only controversial thing though, the game was panned for it's quality as well.  
ET[edit | edit source]
This game is infamous for being one of the worst video games of all time. It was put together in just 5 weeks to be released in time for Christmas 1982.  Atari expected high sales, exploiting customer's loyalty. However, the game only ended up selling 2.5 million units , missing it's 5 million unit aim.
Despite selling well (7 million copies) , this port of Pac-Man was scaled down to a ridiculous extent to comply with the 2600's limitations. The code only rendered 1 ghost per frame, which resulted in the ghosts constantly flickering. Ed Logg said the game was a "lousy" effort. 
Takeshi no Chōsenjō was a Famicom game produced by Taiko in collaboration with comedian Takeshi Kitano. The player has to perform a series of strange, difficult tasks. All of these tasks were suggested by Kitano, sometimes while he was drunk or intoxicated. 
The game's entry for the guidebook of the anniversity event of the Famicom (hosted by Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography) says the following: "a game that sucked so bad, that craved its name in the history of the Family Computer. It then stated in its summary "We could be more than kind and say this was "an ambitious piece which pushed the limit of the video games", but "the worst sucking [sic] game" would be the adequate words to describe it." 
Taito recieved hundreds of phone calls every day, with questions regarding the game. If they could not provide a response, they simply said "the person in charge died". 
Most CDi games[edit | edit source]
South Park (PC and PS1)[edit | edit source]
The PC and PS1 versions of this game were noticeably inferior to the Nintendo 64 version of this game. It is noted for its poor voice acting, bad graphics, and a lacklustre Multiplayer mode. It received 1.4 out of 10 from GameSpot, who said the following:
|“||South Park is definitely one of those games that is bound to come up when you start thinking about the worst game you've ever played.||„|
Stalin vs. Martians is a parody RTS released on April 29, 2009. It was described as "trashy and over-the-top" by its creators.  It mocks World War II RTS games and contains humour similar to Monty Python.
The game was removed from all online stores on July 22, 2009 for an unknown reason. Most online stores simply redirect back to their main page, this link redirects to the main page of Steam.
The game itself recieved awful reviews, gaining a 23.41% average on GameRankings and 25% on Metacritic. GameSpot awarded it 1.5/10 saying it was "possibly the worst RTS ever made". The site given it the title of "2009's Flat-Out Worst Game". 
TatsTopsVideos included it in their "Top 100 Worst Games" list.
A very recent case. Development for this atrocity was started in 2008, saying the game would be a biker action game based in the 1960s. Development went quiet shortly after, and was cancelled in 2010. This was due to production difficulties (a studio participating in development went bankrupt). The game was then largely revised, and was released in 2013 to awful reception.
The game was panned by online critics and journalists alike, mostly for the awful quality. This was for multiple reasons including bad voice acting, using women as sex objects and the unoptimised nature of the game.
The Official PlayStation Magazine UK given it the lowest possible score, a 1/10.  It has a Metacritic score of only 1.4, with no positive critic reviews.  The trend follows with many other media outlets also giving the game a 1/10 or a 1 star.
The game is considered the worst game of the previous generation.
This game (developed by Trickstar Games and published by 505 Games on Steam) was scheduled for a June 2013 release, but was delayed due to quality concerns. When it did release in November 2013, it was pulled four days later citing horrific reviews. 
505 Games apoligized for the game's quality, blaming the engine they were provided to build the game on. They offered refunds to those who had purchased the game, and immediately cancelled plans for a console release. 
References[edit | edit source]
- #9: Custer's Revenge (Atari 2600) pn EGM
- Top Ten Shameful Games on GameSpy
- Five Million E.T. Pieces
- THE 30 DEFINING MOMENTS IN GAMING on Next-Gen
- E.T. Atari Cartridge Landfill Excavation Uncovers Fabled Cache
- What the hell happened? – Next Generation Magazine issue 40 page 41 Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "NGMI40P41" defined multiple times with different content
- Top 10 Tuesday: Worst Coin-op Conversions
- Top 10 Best-Selling Atari 2600 Games on IGN
- Game Center CX 01 Takeshi no Chousenjou on YouTube
- Family Computer 1983-1994 – Published by Ohta Books (page 67) ISBN: 4-87233-803-0 Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "famicom19831994" defined multiple times with different content
- South Park Review on GameSpot
- Interview: All Hail Stalinator! Inside Stalin Vs. Martians on GamasUltra
- Stalin vs. Martians Review (ARCHIVED) on GameSpot
- Ride to Hell: Retribution PS3 review – Biker botch-job was born to be reviled on Official PlayStation Magazine UK
- Ride to Hell Retribution on Metacritic
- Ashes Cricket 2013 Hammered by Players, Pulled from Steam on IGN
- Ashes Cricket 2013 Pulled From Steam, Hilariously Awful on Rock Paper Shotgun'
- Comically Terrible Ashes 2013 Game Officially Cancelled on IGN