List of video games with multiple endings
This is a list of video games with at least four or more multiple endings, starting with the titles that have the most alternate endings to the least. There are two lists, one for alternate endings and one for modular endings.
Methodology[edit | edit source]
There are generally two types of multiple endings:
- Alternate endings - This is where choices have drastic consequences on the endgame, branching out into entirely different ending cutscenes. This is most common in visual novels, and is also occasionally used in role-playing games and some games in other genres.
- Most of the endings in most visual novel (VN) games are often very different from one another, with each ending often having a significant impact on the main storyline. For example, many of the 85 endings in the visual novel 428: In a Blockaded Shibuya (and other VN's such as the Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward series) are very different from each other and/or relevant to the main plot.
- Some fighting games, such as the BlazBlue series, combines this method with the segmented endings method, by featuring visual novel style branching paths and multiple endings for each character. Soul Blade also featured multiple endings for each character.
- Modular endings - Also known as segmented endings or modular epilogues. Instead of (or in addition to) the big ending cutscene, you get to see a collection of largely independent, shorter cutscenes or text snippets describing the consequences of choices made throughout the game. This is most common in role-playing games, as well as fighting games in a different form.
- Most role-playing games (RPG's) often have endings that do not differ much from each other, or the differences have little to no impact on the main storyline. For example, the large number of ending scenarios in Star Ocean: The Second Story and several Fallout games have little differences from each other and/or most are not as relevant to the main plot.
- This list does not include the amount of permutations (or combinations) possible for the various ending scenarios in any particular game. For example, several Fallout games (Fallout 2, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas) have over a hundred possible permutations based on several dozen ending scenarios, while Star Ocean: The Second Story and its remake Second Evolution have over a thousand possible permutations each based on 87 (or 100 in Second Evolution) ending scenarios. This list only includes the number of individual ending scenarios for these games, though most of these ending scenarios mainly involve side-stories that have little impact on the main plot.
- A unique case is fighting games, which employ a modular ending system similar to segmented endings. Because they often have the largest roster of playable characters, with the story mode having an individual ending for each one, these games often end up having a large number of endings as a result.
Out of the two types, the modular ending method usually tends to generate a greater number of multiple endings, as it is generally less difficult to combine together separate modular epilogues than it is to create branching stories with entirely different alternate endings.
Alternate endings[edit | edit source]
Modular endings[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- List of longest video game scripts
- List of largest game worlds
- List of firsts in gaming history
- List of best-selling video games
- Sound chip
References[edit | edit source]
- Brendan Main, Hooking Up in Hyperspace, The Escapist
- 428 - The greatest experiment in non-linear story telling. Destructoid (12/17/2009). Retrieved on 27 August 2012
- This game has the largest number of completely different endings.
- Langrisser II / Der Langrisser - Mega Drive, PC-FX, PlayStation, Saturn, IBM PC (1994), Hardcore Gaming 101
- Video games with the most alternate endings
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, issue 58, May 1994, page 72
- The Blue Crystal Rod Endings
- Multiple Endings: Visual Novels, TV Tropes
- Romancing Sa-Ga 3: Cast of characters
- The Case for Playing 50 Hours of Visual Novels, Giant Bomb
- Clannad: 
- 11 'School Life' endings
- 8 'light orb' endings
- 4 'After Story' endings
- 3 'Bad End' scenarios
- Chrono Cross Endings. Chrono Compendium (2005). Retrieved on 2006-07-24
- METAL SAGA FAQ/WALKTHROUGH
- Final Fantasy VI:
-  
- Endings @ Catherine Wiki
- John Szczepaniak (February 2011). Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken. Retro Gamer. Retrieved on 2011-03-16 (Reprinted at John Szczepaniak. Retro Gamer 85. Hardcore Gaming 101. Retrieved on 2011-03-16)
- 4 campaigns  with 2 possible scenarios  each
- Endings @ Atelier Wiki
- Sakura Taisen (サクラ大戦) - Sega Saturn/Dreamcast/Windows/Mobile/PS2/PSP (1996), Hardcore Gaming 101
- Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Giant Bomb
- Persona 5 Endings: How to get all Bad, Good and True Endings
- Possible Endings, Doki Doki Literature Club! Wiki
- Fallout: New Vegas
- 4 endings in Dragon Age and 2 endings in Awakening 
- Christine Love (2012). Analogue: A Hate Story. Retrieved on 16 August 2012 “Back in the 25th century, Earth launched a generation ship into deep space, with the goal of establishing the first interstellar colony. It dropped out of contact and disappeared, never reaching its destination. Thousands of years later, it has finally been found. […] Uncover the mystery of what happened to the final generation aboard the generation ship Mugunghwa by reading through its dead crew's logs, with the help of a spunky AI sidekick! Two pursuable characters. Five endings. A dark visual novel that further extends the non-linear style of Digital: A Love Story in a mystery featuring transhumanism, traditional marriage, loneliness, and cosplay. Welcome to the future. […] System requirements: animates gorgeously on modern computers, degrades gracefully on any netbook with OpenGL. Completely DRM free. […] By Christine Love, with art by Raide. Original soundtrack by Isaac Schankler is available for purchase.”
- Wario Land II: Chapters, Super Mario Wiki
- Fallout 3 endings @ Fallout Wiki
- Addams, Shay (December 1987). "Animated Adventuring in Maniac Mansion". Commodore Magazine (West Chester, PA: Commodore Magazine, Inc.) 8 (12): 48, 110.
- Time Machine: Phantasy Star. ComputerAndVideoGames.com (January 2, 2011). Retrieved on 15 May 2011
- Multiple Endings: Role-Playing Games, TV Tropes
- Different endings? (aftermath for our characters)
- Star Ocean: Second Evolution
- Star Ocean: The Second Story
- Fallout 2 Endings
- Ending scenarios: 47, including side-story slides
- Possible permutations: 100+
- Tekken 6: Achievement Guide for Gallery Completionist
- No unlockable Super Street Fighter 4 characters. All 35 available from the start. Video Games Blogger. Retrieved on September 9, 2010