Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy!
|Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy!|
|Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP|
|Adventure Game Studio|
|International Release Date(s)|
March 6, 2007
|Achievements | Awards | Changelog | Cheats |
Codes | Codex | Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC
Help | Localization | Manifest | Modding | Patches
Ratings | Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! is a point-and-click adventure game developed by Alastair Beckett. It was created as an indie game using the Adventure Game Studio engine and released for free on the Internet on March 6, 2007.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Spoonbeaks Ahoy! was created by Beckett as a gift for his girlfriend, and the pirate protagonist Nelly Cootalot is modelled after her. In the fictional, insular Barony of Meeth, the player investigates the disappearance of a fleet of spoonbeaks (the game's term for spoonbills). A few minigames must be completed to reach the ending, including decyphering a coded message and winning a "hook a duck" carnival game.
Reception[edit | edit source]
The game was praised for its story, music and humorous setting, though a few puzzles were considered difficult. While reviewers felt the game was inspired by Monkey Island series for its setting and dialogues, they acknowledge the originality of its art style and play experience. It was rated 80 out of 100 by the magazine PC Format.
The game won five awards on the Adventure Game Studio website for the year 2007, namely "Best Game Created with AGS", "Best Gameplay", "Best Dialogue Writing", "Best Player Character", and "Best Character Art". It was also named one of the 20 "Best Freeware Adventure Games" of 2007 by Think Services' IndieGames.com.
References[edit | edit source]
- Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! for PC. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2008-10-07
- "Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy!". PC Gamer (Future Publishing). April 2008. http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/nellypcgamer.gif. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- Luke Plunkett (2007-09-14). Nelly Cootaloot Is A Hoot. Kotaku. Retrieved on 2008-10-07
- Luke Jensen (2008-07-19). Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy. Adventure Gamers. Retrieved on 2008-10-07
- Alasdair Beckett (2008-09-21). Nelly Cootalot II - Tech Demo. Chris Jones. Retrieved on 2008-10-07
- Ernie P. Barin. Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy. Abandonia Reloaded. Retrieved on 2008-10-07
- Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! Reviews. GameRankings. Retrieved on 2008-10-07
- Andrew MacCormack (2008-02-18). Woah, Nelly! AGS Awards results announced. Adventure Gamers. Retrieved on 2008-10-07
- Best freeware adventure games 2007. IndieGames.com (2008-01-19). Retrieved on 2008-10-07