Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition
|Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition|
|Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version|
|Takehiro Izushi, Takashi Kawaguchi and Tsunekazu Ishihara|
|Satoshi Tajiri and Toshinobu Matsumiya|
|International Release Date(s)|
February 26, 2016
|European Release Date(s)|
June 16, 2000
|North American Release Date(s)|
October 19, 1999
|Japanese Release Date(s)|
September 12, 1998
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes | Codex |
Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Modding | Patches
Ratings | Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition is the sequel to Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version. It is compatible to those games by use of the link cable to trade or battle, and share the same gameplay elements.
The primary difference is your starting Pokémon, which is unanimously Pikachu as the box art implies, to emulate the anime series that originated from Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version. You can see and interact with your Pikachu outside of battles. It will deliberately refuse to evolve into Raichu unless traded to a different version. Also, your rival will be given an Eevee, which will evolve into one of its (then) three evolutions depending on your win/loss ratio with your rival.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Features[edit | edit source]
- Surfing Pikachu mini-game, there's a house on the beach near Fuschia City.
- All starter Pokémon: Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur can be obtained without the use of external trading, through normal progression of the story.
- Two linked Yellow versions may battle in the following battle modes: Pika Cup, Poké Cup, and Petite Cup.
- Team Rocket, Jessie, James and Meowth appear in the game.
- Cerulean Cave has changed from Pokémon Red and Blue.
- In Viridian Forest, there are Level 9 Pidgeottos, which is otherwise impossible.
- There is a Missingno Glitch, but it is done differently than Red & Blue Versions.
- When played on a Game Boy Color, different areas and Pokémon have different colouring. In Red, most everything was red with some sprites being blue. Blue version had the opposite effect.
Missing Pokémon from Yellow[edit | edit source]
The following Pokémon do not appear in Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition, and must be traded from another version:
Evolving via Trading[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]