Return to Krondor
|Return to Krondor|
|[[Sierra Studios]][[Category:Sierra Studios]]|
|Computer role-playing game|
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes |
Codex | Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Modding | Patches | Ratings
Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
GOG | In-Game | Origin | PlayStation Trophies | Retro
Steam | Xbox Live
Return to Krondor is a computer role-playing game set in Raymond Feist's fictional fantasy setting of Midkemia. A sequel to 1993's Betrayal at Krondor, it was released for Windows 95 on the PC in time for the 1998 Christmas season. Within the game, the player commands a group of heroes with different attributes, strengths, and weaknesses which the player may upgrade over the course of the game.
Feist later wrote a novelization of this game, entitled Krondor: Tear of the Gods. It is the third part of his Riftwar Legacy trilogy; the first part of which was a novelization of Betrayal at Krondor entitled Krondor: The Betrayal.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Starting in the city of Krondor and eventually venturing out into other specific parts of the Midkemia world, the game focuses on battling humans and evil creatures of various kinds. Although the story is very linear in nature, the game offers a range of possibilities while the player is adventuring in Krondor. While the computer graphics of the game is now visually outdated by games like the plotwise very similar Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II, the game featured some unique or rarely seen features at the time of release, including elaborate alchemy and thieving. Using alchemical equipment, it is possible to brew custom potions from a variety of ingredients. In order to open locked or trapped chests and doors, a simulation of the process of disarming and lockpicking is initiated. Facing a variety of different mechanisms, it is necessary to pick the right lockpicking tools and then use them with care, simulated by carefully timed mouse clicking.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- James is the player character in the game. He is a thief who has become a squire by favor of Arutha, Prince of Krondor.
- Jazhara is a mage from a distant, Middle-Eastern-inspired land called Kesh.
- William is a Krondorian guard and exceptional fighter.
- Kendaric is both a mage and an alchemist.
- Solon is a priest using divine magic and a body that blocks all blows.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1994: Dynamix, at this time a division of Sierra On-line, reorganizes their staff and cancels a planned sequel to Betrayal at Krondor.
- 1995: 7th Level begins production of Return to Krondor.
- 1997: Pyrotechnix, at this time a division of 7th Level, and developing Return to Krondor, is sold to Sierra On-line.
- 1998: Pyrotechnix completes the game. It is published in November.
- 2010: The game is updated for compatibility with modern systems and rereleased on Good Old Games on March 4.
[edit | edit source]
- 1998 Gamespot Review
- Website of Neal Hallford, original writer and designer on "Return to Krondor"