Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed
|Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed|
|[[Saints Row (series)|Saints Row]][[Category:Saints Row (series)]]|
|Sandbox, third-person shooter, action-adventure|
|Blu-ray Disc, DVD-DL|
|PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360|
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes |
Codex | Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Modding | Patches | Ratings
Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
GOG | In-Game | Origin | PlayStation Trophies | Retro
Steam | Xbox Live
Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed is an episodic expansion pack for the sandbox-style action-adventure video game Saints Row 2, developed by Volition, Inc. and published by THQ. The first of three planned downloadable content packs, Ultor Exposed was released via Xbox Live and PlayStation Network for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 systems respectively, on April 23, 2009. Originally slated for an April 16 release, the game was delayed a week in order to be released alongside the demo for Volition-developed game Red Faction: Guerrilla.
Ultor Exposed features American pornographic actor Tera Patrick, who plays herself as a former microbiologist for the Ultor Corporation who calls upon the protagonist to help her expose the evils within it. The expansion pack also adds new customization options, vehicles, and additions to the game's multiplayer.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The game adds content for use with the main game. New hair and facial hair options have been added and in addition an array of new outfits can be purchased and worn by the player character, including the 'EDF Armor' which is an actual item in Red Faction: Guerrilla. Examples include the commonly requested police officer and SWAT uniforms and also the winning entries in the Joystick Junkies competition. The pack also adds six new vehicles for use within the game, including the 'EDF Scout' which also is usable in Red Faction: Guerrilla.
The game also adds to the multiplayer component of the game. Four multiplayer maps can be played online, two for each of the major multiplayer modes in the game. In addition, a metagame can be activated while players complete missions in co-operative play. The goal in the metagame is to accumulate points during a mission by performing special kill bonuses, causing property damage etc. and the player with the most points after the mission is completed earns a cash bonus.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Tera Patrick meets with The Protagonist at the Saints Hideout and reveals that she knows some of the Ultor Corporation's dark secrets. The Protagonist, not wanting to pass the chance of exposing Ultor, agrees to help Tera out. The Protagonist digs up the bodies of discarded test subjects (The discarded bodies look like the zombies from the Saints Row 2 diversion Zombie Uprising) from a nanorobotics experiment as evidence. However, the press refuses to run the story and so the two hijack a truck containing chemicals that Ultor used in the experiments. News reporter Jane Valderamma is met by The Protagonist and says that she wants an interview with Tera if she is going to run the story. Tera, who fears being on live TV, begrudgingly agrees and when Tera is interviewed, Jane deliberately turns the interview on Tera after Tera tells that she was the one who conducted the experiments. After the interview, Tera promises Jane that she will find a way to expose Ultor, even without her.
Development[edit | edit source]
On September 25, 2008, producer of Saints Row 2 Dan Sutton stated in an interview that "Definitely we have [plans for downloadable content], yes. We haven't announced them yet, but we are looking at bigger stuff definitely." Saints Row 2 was released in mid-October, gaining positive acclaim. Although Sutton had hinted downloadable content was in the works, no official verification or details emerged, but he did hint that Tera Patrick might be in a DLC pack. No official word was given out on the DLC pack until late March, when a trailer was released, and an interview was granted with produce James Torbin, who gave out details of the pack and named it Ultor Exposed. Information detailing the official release date of April 16, 2009, as well as the release platforms and cost was published in an article on the game's official website. However, on April 14, two days before the official release, the game was delayed to April 23 so it could be released alongside the demo of Red Faction: Guerrilla. Ultor Exposed was finally released on April 23, 2009, alongside the release of the eleventh Street Lessons with Uncle Gary trailer starring Gary Busey, titled The Women of DLC.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Ultor Exposed has received an average response since its release. IGN gave generally positive praise for the game, praising the game's new co-op metagame but criticizing the relatively short missions, stating that "Whether or not Ultor Exposed is worth the $10 entrance fee depends on how much you enjoyed Saints Row 2, [...] [but] if you've been waiting for the right moment to pick this game up, convince a friend to do the same and download Ultor Exposed". Spanish game critic 3D Juegos gave the game a 6.4/10, giving praise to the in-game audio while also questioning the overall length of the mission arc. Popular aggregator EuroGamer gave a negative review, giving the game a 5/10 and stating that "It's hard to think of a reason why you'd part with good money for the limited extra entertainment offered by this DLC. There are two more downloadable packs on the way for Saints Row 2, but Volition has much to do to convince players to part with their cash next time." EvolvedGaming gave the game a 6/10, praising the multiplayer additions but criticizing Tera Patrick's voice acting and the entertainment value of the missions.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hatfield, Daemon (April 23, 2009). Ultor Now Exposed. IGN.
- V-Singular (April 23, 2009). SR2 DLC Pack #1 Out Now!. The Row Community.
- Brudvig, Eric (March 30, 2009). Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed. IGN. Retrieved on 2009-04-10
- V-Singular (March 31, 2009). DLC Pack #1 Official Details. The Row Community.
- Robinson, Martin (April 15, 2009). Saints Row 2 DLC Delayed. IGN.
- V-Singular (April 14, 2009). DLC Pack #1 Delayed One Week. The Row Community.
- O'Conner, Alice (March 31, 2009). First Saints Row 2 DLC Revealed. Shacknews. Retrieved on 2009-03-31
- V-Singular (April 21, 2009). Full Item List for DLC Pack #1. The Row Community.
- V-Singular (April 3, 2009). DLC Pack #1: Vehicular Mayhem. The Row Community.
- V-Singular (September 21, 2007). Saints Row 2 Fashion Range Revealed + Contest!. The Row Community.
- V-Singular (April 17, 2009). DLC Co-Op Metagame Details. The Row Community.
- Luke Guttridge. Saints Row 3 Already in Development. Play.tm. Retrieved on 2008-09-28
- Saints Row 2 DLC: Ultor Exposed Trailer. GameTrailers (31 March 2009). Retrieved on 2009-03-31
- Saints Row 2: The Women of DLC Trailer. GameTrailers (April 24, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-04-24
- Hatfield, Daemon (April 24, 2009). Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed Impressions. IGN. Retrieved on 2009-04-24
- Córdova, Álvaro (April 24, 2009). Review: Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed (Spanish). 3D Juegos. Retrieved on 2009-04-24
- Reed, Kristan (April 24, 2009). Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed Review. EuroGamer. Retrieved on 2009-04-24
- Grimes, Cory (April 27, 2009). Review: Saints Row 2 - Ultor Exposed. EvolvedGaming. Retrieved on 2009-04-27
[edit | edit source]
- Volition, Inc. home page
- Official Saints Row 2 site
- Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed on the Saints Row wiki