Silent Hunter II
|Silent Hunter II|
|[[Aeon Electronic Entertainment|
Ultimation Inc.]][[Category:Aeon Electronic Entertainment
|ESRB: T (Teen)|
|Awards | Changelog | Cheats | Codes | Codex |
Compatibility | Covers | Credits | DLC | Help
Localization | Manifest | Patches | Ratings
Reviews | Screenshots | Soundtrack
Videos | Walkthrough
Silent Hunter II is a WWII U-boat combat simulation from Ubisoft for Windows 95/98/ME. It was originally being developed by Aeon Electronic Entertainment, the developers of Silent Hunter, but they had to leave the project unfinished, and Ultimation Inc. finished it. After considerable delays it was released in November 2001.
In addition to some separate single-player missions, they also come as a string in the theme of "U-boat highlights", allowing the player to re-experience such well-known adventures as U-47's penetration into Scapa Flow, passing through the Strait of Gibraltar and Operation Drumbeat against American shipping.
What made Silent Hunter II into a revolutionary concept was that it was not only playable on-line with or against other U-boats, but also against destroyers that were controlled by players of Destroyer Command, a title also released by Ubisoft.
However, the reception was not enthusiastic among the fans of Silent Hunter. Silent Hunter II was criticised for a crude AI, the lack of a replayable single player career against the limited collection of missions and the fail-prone multiplayer mode, which often disconnected players before the action had even started.
To fix and enhance the multiplayer mode, an unofficial (authorized by Ubisoft) patch called Projekt Messerwetzer was worked up by Subsim.com. Also, to revive a once disappointing title, several fan-made modifications and missions have emerged.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Silent Hunter, released in 1996.
- Silent Hunter III, released in 2005.
- Silent Hunter 4, released in 2007.
- Silent Hunter V, released in 2010
- Aces of the Deep: An older U-boat game, released 1994.
References[edit | edit source]
- Technical Advisor=. Silent Hunter II Official website. Retrieved on 2007-10-26
[edit | edit source]
- Silent Hunter II Official Site
- Silent Hunter II at MobyGames
- Projekt Messerwetzer An unofficial multiplayer upgrade for Silent Hunter II
- Wolfpack League An on-line community for Silent Hunter and Destroyer Command players
- SubSim.com Fan site and home of the famed Silent Hunter II: Pacific Aces Mod.