Stainless Steel Studios
|Stainless Steel Studios|
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
Titan game engine
Titan 2.0 game engine
Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War (completed by Midway Games)]]
|Software and programming, computer and video games|
Stainless Steel Studios (SSSI) was a computer game development company, started in 1997 by Rick Goodman and Dara-Lynn Pelechatz. The company was based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and focused on the development of real-time strategy software titles.
History[edit | edit source]
Stainless Steel was started in October 1997 by Rick Goodman and Dara-Lynn Pelechatz (Director of Operations).
While returning on a flight from California, Rick saw the Sky Mall catalog. Well he decided he was going to open the book and put his finger on the first item he saw, hence that would be the name of his new company. The item Rick located was a stainless steel Shower head.
On November 25, 2005, Gamasutra reported that Stainless Steel Studios quietly ceased operations and laid off its employees. The content of the official website was removed on November. Former SSSI employees Bob Scott and Daniel Higgins confirmed rumors appearing on the HeavenGames Rise & Fall fan site forum.
Higgins wrote in reply to questions about the credibility of the rumors:
This is true, SSSI is no more. I can't give details as to why, but I can tell you the product is in excellent shape, the team was in high morale and plowing ahead at full steam, and we were just weeks from gold disk.
The game was later completed by Midway Games and release on 12 June 2006.
Notes[edit | edit source]
The company is sometimes confused with Stainless Steel Productions, an independent motion picture production company based out of Canada.
Portfolio[edit | edit source]
|Year Released||Game Title||Publisher|
|2001||Empire Earth||Sierra Entertainment|
|2003||Empires: Dawn of the Modern World||Activision|
|2006||Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War||Midway Games|
References[edit | edit source]
- Gamespy articles. Gamespy. Retrieved on 2007-04-27
- Report: Stainless Steel Studios Closes Doors. Gamasutra. Retrieved on 2007-04-28
- IGN: Stainless Steel Studios. IGN. Retrieved on 2007-08-05
- News Archives - November 2005, Stainless Steel Studios has Broken Up. HeavenGames LLC. Retrieved on 2007-04-28
- Rise and Fall developer closes. GameSpot (2005-11-28). Retrieved on 2007-02-19
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- StainlessSteelStudios.com Official Site, now closed
- Stainless Steel Studios profile on MobyGames
- Stainless Steel Studios profile on IGN
- Stainless Steel Studios profile on GameFAQs