I've been pondering creation of an entire poker wiki, but I wonder if this would be a suitable place for it? I'm envisioning at least dozens of poker-related wiki pages, with topics like "Preflop play in Omaha 8/b" or "Games currently spread at the Bellagio". Is that in scope or should we do our own effort?
Also, is there a convenient way to update automatically from Wikipedia? Or at what point does it become appropriate to stop adding poker content there and come over here?
Best way to reach me is at my Wikipedia page.
PhilipR 02:20, 19 May 2005 (UTC)
- I don't really know, I haven't really been intending to create sub-wikis, really... I think it could make a wiki all of its own. - furrykef (Talk at me) 23:59, 19 May 2005 (UTC)
- OK, sounds good, we'll let you know where we end up housing our wiki so that you can link from your general poker page for those who are interested.
- Cheers, PhilipR 01:59, 20 May 2005 (UTC)
- I'd say it depends on whether you expect a large community at the poker wiki. Be aware there is already a lot of poker related content at Wikipedia. Are you sure a separate wiki would be needed if the content can already be housed there? Perhaps trialing this here and seeing if any other users are interested would be better than creating a new wiki only to find there isn't enough interest in it. Also, have you considered that this topic is more likely than others to attact spam? You may need a larger community to deal with this. If you do decide it needs a separate wiki and that there are enough people to contribute there, just fill out a wiki request form. Angela (talk) 02:20, 20 May 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks for the input, Angela. We have a community of at least a few committed contributors building at 2+2. I suspect that the kind of info we want to maintain is somewhat out of scope for Wikipedia, although its poker info is extensive. See here for one route we're going down, namely maintaining info about what's currently played at casinos, how easy or tough the games are, etc. Some of that could be sufficiently factual/NPOV for Wikipedia, some of it probably not.
- Personally i'm hoping we migrate that site to WikiCities just because I like the interface here better, even for a separate PokerWiki.
- PhilipR 02:41, 20 May 2005 (UTC)
- Just to clarify the above, the casino-specific content isn't the only thing I forsee being maintained on a PokerWiki. 2+2 (and RGP) have all kinds of discussion about strategy that go well beyond the scope of pages like Wikipedia's strategy pages.
- AFAICT it really comes down to how this site's management feels about our level of duplication with Wikipedia. IMO something as in-depth as I think we could get is out of scope for Wikipedia. Angela or someone, please advise.
- I've read the standards for new wikis here so I'll be ready to apply once this question is resolved.
- Thanks, PhilipR 16:00, 20 May 2005 (UTC)