Zero4 Champ (series)
|PC-Engine, Super Famicom, PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and Saturn|
Zero4 Champ (ゼロヨンチャンプ, zero yon chanpu) series is a racing video game franchise created by Yutaka Kaminaga of Media Rings in 1991. Hudson Soft -now a member of Konami group- licensed it for Drift Champ, the latest episode planned by Work Jam, developed by Tamsoft and for a mobile phone game developed by Profire, both were released in late 2002.
Zero-Yon[edit | edit source]
In Japan, street racing sometimes occurs on long straights in industrial areas, which are used for drag races. These are known natively as 0-400m (meters) or Zero-Yon (ゼロヨン) races. Yon is Japanese for "4".
Overview[edit | edit source]
The series' touge racing, aero parts tuning and anime-based "Story Mode" made it similar to other popular franchise like Initial D and Wangan Midnight. It has also some RPG and simulation adventure (the player does part-time job to get money) found later in Shutokou Battle series titles such as Kattobi Tune and Racing Battle C1 Grand Prix.
Featured cars are sports grades from Japanese makers including Toyota MR2-GT (SW20), Mazda RX-7 Type RS (FD3S), Mitsubishi Motors Lancer Evolution VI (CP9A), Subaru Impreza WRX STi (GDB), Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (BNR34) and Honda NSX Type-S Zero (NA2), all of which are import scene classics.
Series timeline[edit | edit source]
- Template:Flagicon 1991.03.08: Zero4 Champ (ゼロヨンチャンプ), PC Engine HuCard
- Template:Flagicon 1993.05.03: Zero4 Champ II (ゼロヨンチャンプII), PC Engine Super CD-ROM2
- Template:Flagicon 1994.07.22: Zero4 Champ RR (ゼロヨンチャンプ ダブルアール), Super Famicom
- Template:Flagicon 1995.12.25: Zero4 Champ RR-Z (ゼロヨンチャンプ ダブルアール・ヅィー), Super Famicom
- Template:Flagicon 1997.06.20: Zero4 Champ DooZy-J (ゼロヨンチャンプ ドゥーヅィージェイ), PlayStation
- Template:Flagicon 1997.06.20: Zero4 Champ DooZy-J Type-R (ゼロヨンチャンプ ドゥーヅィージェイ タイプアール), Sega Saturn
- Template:Flagicon 2002.11.21: Zero4 Champ series: Drift Champ (ゼロヨンチャンプ シリーズ ドリフトチャンプ), PlayStation 2 (Hudson Soft)
- Template:Flagicon 2002.12.24: Go! Zero4 Champ (GO!04チャンプ), Mobile phone i-mode 504i (Hudson Soft / Profire)
Zero4 Extreme[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Drift Champ official website
- Go! Zero4 Champ official website (Profire)
- Go! Zero4 Champ official website (Hudson Soft)
- Go! Zero4 Champ press release
- Zero4 Champ series overview & Yutaka Kaminaga profile